setting headlights on gmc somoma

I recently purchased a 2001 Sonoma 2wheel drive extended cab, 4.3 motor. The head lights are a way out of line. Can anyone tell me the proper height and distance used to set them

-- Message posted using

information at

sandlion

Find a nice flat spot with a vertical wall at one end (garage door or driveway or mall wall). Make sure you have a full tank of fuel and whatever load you normally carry. Drive the vehicle up to the wall with the bumper as close as possible. Now put a chunk of masking tape on the wall at the horizontal and vertical center of each light on the HIGH beam side. Now back away from the wall 25 feet. Now aim the HIGH beams so that the hot center of the light beam is hitting 1 inch to the right of those marks. Since that vehicle has both high and low in the same unit you aim the high beams and the lows follow. That is one of the problems with that style light.

Reply to
Steve W.

I remember years ago the MI State Police carried a head light aiming tool. If they seen someone with lights out of adjustment that blinded other drivers they would pull them over, put the tool on the light and if out of adjust they could issue a ticket or warning. Never seen them do it to anyone.

Reply to
Tim

That device will still work on the sealed beam headlights. However on

99% of the composite units it would be > I remember years ago the MI State Police carried a head light aiming tool.

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Steve W.

The device I was talking about was for the old round head sealed beam lights. Then came the square and I think MSP stopped checking them.

Reply to
Tim