"shift lock" repair

On my daughters 2005 Chevy Aveo she is unable to shift out of park unless she first inserts the key into the "Shift Lock" slot on shifter. Since sshe is away at school I either need to be able to fix
in dorm parking lot in a few hours or give her my car and rent one for the week why dealer fixes.
Does anybody have experience with this feathure - is it a mechanical or electrical failure. Since car is 150 miles away I can't take apart to see parts. Anyone have diagrams or info to help?
ransom wrote:

Ask her if the brake lights work. Sometimes the shift interlock is tied into the brake light circuit and if both brake light bulbs are burned out (or the switch is misadjusted or doesn't work) the shift interlock will stay engaged. As well as the cruise likely won't work. Note that I'm speaking in generalities here and have no idea if the Aveo actually works like this.
good luck,
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Warranty still valid? Call GM roadside assistance to come tow it to a dealer and have it fixed.
Steve

out of warranty - too many miles.
Nates idea of checking brake lights solve problem. No brake lights, new switch ($15 at Dealer - 2 day wait) and all is well.

Damn! Blind squirrel, nut, etc.
Glad you got it fixed.
nate
I have a 2005 with the same problem. It is the brake switch that needs to be replaced. Anyway, the Aveo ewoo+ italian design. That means all kinds of electrical problems; one after the other. Starting as soon as you reach 60,000 miles. Daewoos and kias must be avoided.