Should GM Buy Domestic?

Fifty-billion dollars. That?s how much money the United States taxpayer has plowed into General Motors. Back when this terrifying teat-sucking started, Michigan Representative Debbie Stabenow told the country that the bridge loans (as they were called at the time) were about ?jobs, jobs, jobs.? To say the rhetoric justifying/sustaining GM?s giga-suckle has shifted would be like saying Pontiac?s prospects have dimmed. Now it?s all about ?returning the taxpayer?s investment.? If that means withdrawing a contract from Stillwater Mining (a Montana outfit that provides New GM with platinum and palladium for catalytic converters) and endangering 1300 American jobs, to paraphrase the GM spokesman on this NPR report, tough shit. Nice thought, but?does GM risk a serious consumer/taxpayer backlash as the federally-supported automaker turns its back on its investment in the U.S. economy? Apparently not. (Witness the lack of interest in our story about federal stimulus money going to Mexican car factories.) Not yet. Meanwhile, what?s your take? Does America?s nationalized automaker have any obligation to support U.S. jobs? [thanks to PeteMoran for the heads-up]

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Since the American taxpayers do not seem to mind buying imports that are totally made in counties that do not have all of the restriction placed upon their manufactures like in this county, to save money why would they object to US manufacturers doing the same to save money? If US manufacturers do what the taxpaying consumer are doing, they can sell for less money as well. That will preserve some US jobs that would otherwise be lost to offshore manufacturers. Look at the millions of taxpayer dollars going to foreign manufactures like Toyota, Honda, BMW etal over the past ten years or more, that only assemble stuff in the US of mostly imported parts and materials to create or preserve those jobs, and nobody seems to object.

Reply to
Mike

GMers didn't care about my income tax rates in their consumption of tax dollars.

Sorry, my heart does not go out to them.

As for purchasing over priced low quality US/Canadian made, guess GM isn't up to the task. Sooner or later they will die. I want Chinese and India pricing! With the taxes so high in Canada, a new NA made vehicle isn't in the budget, LOL.

Reply to
Canuck57

So that is that why you buy used cars? LOL

I want Chinese and India

Reply to
Mike

First off, the bailouts never had anything to do with middle class jobs. Right from the onset it was about funneling taxpayer debt money into private equity and certain bond holders and other "special interest" parties and friends of Obama, congress and the senate. Government was more worried about Cerberus and Carlyle.

In fact to this day, there does not seem to exist an accountability and detailed record on where the huge sum of bailout moneys actually went. We know it went to GM, but where after that? $70B so far, where did it go? Specifically where did it go after it was in GM's account? Senate and congress don't ask, maybe they don't want the public to know. Maybe they don't want to know.

Hopefully enough people know and someday the real truth will leak out.

And the jobs were gone years ago. GM was allowed to operate fraudulantly for far too long, SEC, banks, board of directors should have stopped the charade many years ago. It was even known on the street some 4-5 years ago Carlyle and Cerberus were striping GM & Chrysler of the good parts, packaging the rest into a needy corporate care package. Chrysler purportedly by its own word had $11B in cash at the end of October 2008 to buy GM with. Trouble is, no one has seen the money since.

Even judges involved with GM bankruptcy have done things they never would have otherwise, which makes one think this corruption certainly is involved in ways they don't want us to know.

People might want to hold their senator, congress person or MP accountable next time they vote. And 2010 in the US is a magical time to send a few politicians packing. Which is why the rehtoric of getting out of bailouts is arising from congress. Now that whatever dirty tricks were pulled are over, they want to close the books on GM. But Americans need to rememebr their behavior today and not their BS tomorrow.

Reply to
Canuck57

I can speak for Jim, but I do every year in about December and running up to the elections, I have even join on occasion if the candidates are not limp biscuit butt kissers.

It is big business in DC. Should be banned. It is also why the tax system is increasing being used to indirectly, and in GM's case, directly fund corporations. It isn't just in movies any more.

Best to vote out the incumbant unless they ver vocal in opposing this corruption. Even if they were neutral, it was really a passive yes to taxpayer abuse.

Many were caught between what was right for their constituants and what was being pressured by the hidden powers. Most buckled, totally un-American and un-Caandian.

Yep, it is.

A lot of bribes too. Which is what it amounts too. Even GM had a nice budget for this.

Yep. How about real time voting on the issues by the people. Turn congress people into sales people, they propose and the people vote. It isn't the

1800's any more, a pony does not need to go from San Diego to DC to tally up. You could go on-line, view the pro and con videos and vote directly. True democracy!

It will not happen as part of the races for presidential candidates is more or less a stacked deck, you get a choice of A or B, but A and B are in the pocket. So in reality, party politics really screws up democratic intent.

Yep. My investment strategies count on it!

Unions support herd management. Not likely to get changes there. Who would watch such a station?

Reply to
Canuck57