Should I buy a GM? or should I jump ship?

GM management has major issues from the CEO on down, not only that they be dissin' their customers for years buy selling faulty 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 v6's that eventually have premature failing intake gaskets causing $800 plus in repairs. I was considering looking a the G6, not the sedan cuz they are uglier than a Yugo on steroids. I have seen a couple of pictures of the G6 coupe GTP model which seems to look good at list in print, in person may look ugly who knows. My concern is the new 3.9 v6 that they will have, they are unproven and I dont know about being a guinea pig for GMs engines after there other problem engines. Not only that they are laying off 25k employees when management really needs to either resign or do what Lee Iacoca did in the early eighties to bring back chrysler and that was he worked as the CEO for a $1 annual salary until back on their feet, in other words he had faith in his efforts. Why isnt GM management doing the same thing? They are all millionaires and can afford it, yet they lay off the little man who cant afford it. That sucks and they may make me turn my back on GM. I just hope those workers get picked up by Toyota or some other company.

Reply to
Johnny Action

Sound like you already made your decision. If I were you don't hesitate and infact don't look back ever. Move one!! Buy what ever you like.

Reply to
Paul

yep, and remember your observations and comments when your asian product gives you nothing but problems. Doesn't matter, european, asia, american, if it goes round and round it's gonna break down. There are many good american autos out there made by americans by american companies but if you feel like supporting a foriegn company have right at it and don't be surprised when the only job your kids or grandkids can find is at burger king or cleaning bathrooms.

Reply to
;-p

Don't bet on it. All the God d#$^ mexicans are getting those jobs now too.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

If your concern is indeed for the 'little' guy you should go buy a new, not used, GM vehicle. The prices are terrific. Way below what it will cost you to buy a Toyota. ;)

mike hunt

Johnny Acti>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Leave it to the American consumer to willfully export the jobs of their own offspring. Why Americans buy foreign cars, when there are so many American cars that are just as reliable or more so on the market that can be had for less money, is beyond me. That is so stupid.

mike hunt

";-p" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

That is all more the reason you should buy American ;)

mike hunt

Dennis Smith wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

the irony is that some of the so called "american" cars are made in MEXICO and some of the so called "Foreign" car are made in USA (i.e Mitsubishi: Normal, IL, Corolla: Somewhere in CA)

Tough call but I'm sorry for 25000 workers (nearly 100 000 people considering families)

Reply to
u c c

Your arguement is somewhat flawed.

There are parts and subassemblies and engines made in Mexico but no GM cars. NAFTA considers Mexico and Canada as North American made and stated as such. If you buy a GM product rest assured it is and American auto and the profits from that auto stay pretty much in North America. So the autos you are talking about qualify as American made.

Buy a U.S. made Asian product and the profits go to their home land and do not stay here. The parts used in most Asian auto assembled here in the 'States' are imported from the oversea asian makers.

It is a tough call for the 25k GM workers but it happens. Good thing most of the job loss will be through attrition and not through direct layoffs.

Go ahead and keep buying foriegn made products(not just autos) and your offspring will have to flip burgers etc(low paying dead end jobs).

One day Americans will learn that manufacturing of a product was and is the basis the American economy was founded on. No U.S. product, no real U.S. economy.

;-p

Reply to
;-p

I like asking questions:

the other side of the story: There are two things you should consider:

1 profit that gm made 2 tax and sallary the foreign company pays Without knowing these numbers it is not right to compare anything.

If Mitsubishi spends more money in usa (tax and sallary) than, the profit GM made, then obviously buying a Mitsubishi is more patriotic. Else, sticking with GM is a much better decision.

Please consider that Mitsubishi is providing some work for America and Pay tax to american goverment not GM (or part suppliers).

It is always bad to use forign products (made out of usa or made by foreign companies) for the country but not for the individuals.

Since late 60, US economy become a service economy: less than half of the us economy is due to productivity. Still usa has a strong economy: we donot know how long it will last tough...

Gas pricess are a good example: Dollar is loosing power... However they manupulate it (increasing interest rates, declaring war to other countries, pressurizing other countires), i think it is a solid truth.

Long story short: Capitalism rules...

Reply to
u c c

If you are interested in helping the American economy buy American. Vehicles made in the US by American federal tax paying corporations. Avoid those made in other countries or those merely assembled in the US of mostly imported parts, like the Camry, by corporations that pay no federal corporate income taxes. ..

mike hunt

u c c wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

In other newsgroups, people piss and moan about WalMart. WalMart squeezes out "the little stores" WalMart doesn't pay their workers WalMart stocks imported merchandise etc.etc....etc...etc....

Everybody's down on WalMart except the people who shop there.

I've never been to a WalMart that wasn't crowded with shoppers ! They must be doing something right.

Back to GM and imports....... No matter how many excuses GM comes up with, Buick makes a car comparable to the Camry. Sells in the same price range too. So, WHY do the majority of shoppers choose TOYOTA ?? A used Camry sells for much more than a used Buick..... WHY ???

All the car buyers can't be stupid.

Reply to
Anonymous

Of course as long a GM looses a billion dollars a quarter, it isn't going to pay any taxes on profits (since there isn't any profits)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

And if the company has no profits?(GM) And exactly how much of the profits actually reach the economy after taxes and corporate graft and so on?

The real determiner should be where it's *made*. The cost of making the vehicle and assembling it far exceeds any profit margin for all but a few cars.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The 3.8 doesn't have the problems that the others do if you maintain the coolant properly. OF course, this means only the 3.8 and a few cars like the Vibe and some of the Caddys are worth considering. (The Vibe because it has a Toyota designed engine that's bulletproof and GM styling and interior instead of Toyota's plastic ick)

Yep. The re-engineered 3.8(3.6 IIRC?) is also more of this same nonsense. Just get something like an Impala with the 3.8 in it and enjoy 150-200K miles before it finally dies.

My car, my sister's, my father and mother's - all span 18 years of LeSabres and PArk Avenues with the 3.8 engine. So far, none of them have had any problems with the engine itself. Tons of sensors and other assorted problems like most cars, but the engine might as well be a Camry or Honda V6, it's so bulletproof.

GM will have huge discounts in about 2-3 months, so wait and save :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

People's greed is often stronger than their ethics when their paycheck comes. I've set foot in a Wal-Mart maybe ten times in my life and never bought anything. Either it was cheap consumer-grade junk that was below my standards(which aren't unreasonable, mind you), or the price was only slightly better than the local smaller stores.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Buy American - Save our Countries Jobs and its Economy. Jap , Korean , China cars have defects in workmanship too. The US Automakers build xlint cars and the cars mostly exceed imports in quality. Like the man said in his other posts : Keep buying Imports cars and goods and the only jobs "YOU" and Your "KIDS" will have is working at WENDY'S or WALMART. GET READY AMERICA FOR ANOTHER 1929 GREAT DEPRESSION ..... Say GoodBye to your Jobs !!! Brian - Las Vegas, NV

Reply to
Captain Crane

That is a bogus argument. The difference of course is when one buys a vehicle made in the US by American corporation ALL of the cost of the parts and those connect to the building the vehicle are spent in the US and remain in he US, as well as all of the profits that are taxed in the US and the dividends paid to the American stock holders are taxed again by the government.

When one buys a vehicle that only assembled in the US of mostly imported parts, like the Tundra and the Camry, all of the part cost as well as all of the profits and stock holder dividends leave the US and they leave untaxed.

In addition the workers in foreign owned plants receive lower wages and fewer benefits, even though the Camry and Tundra cost more to drive home than those of similar sized and equipped domestic competitors.

IT it your childrens jobs that you are exporting along with the money that leaves the US.

mike hunt

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Reply to
RustyFendor

My guess it is because the think Toyota makes a more dependable vehicle. From what we see in our business, servicing most every brand, that is only a myth. Today all manufacturer are building good vehicles. The only REAL difference we see is style and price.

Your opinion that the Camry and Buick cost the same, is exactly that an opinion, is not factual. One can drive home a similarly sized and equipped Buick for thousands less than a Camry. Further more the Buck will cost a lot less to repair when the time does come to make a repair and the difference as to when is inconsequential.

Just to set the record straight GM sells more car than Toyota and far more trucks.. So the question should be. if Toyota are so good why do buyers bay three times as many GM and twice as many Ford vehicles?

mike hunt

"" wrote:

Reply to
RustyFendor

That is a big IF. Corporate taxes, jut like yours, are based on annual income. ;)

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
RustyFendor