Should I buy a GM? or should I jump ship?

Page 3 of 4
Ya, and "My Mother the Car" and "Herbie the Love Bug".

The US automakers regard this as 'North American' made according to NAFTA.
Unless you are a Japanese citizen you can not own stock in or own a Japanese company. The only thing you can buy on the NYSE is a certificate, the name of which escapes me at the moment, that is actually 1/2 ownership of a stock certificate held by a Japanese citizen for which you pay the price of a full stock that he owns and on which you receive half of the dividend. They don't all it Japan Incorporated for nothing
You are free to believe whatever you chose and spend you money wherever you wish. What Toyota, for example, has actually done is take 200,000 high paying America jobs, from domestic manufactures that paid millions of dollar in federal taxes, that provided good benefits and defined pension plans and converted then into lower paying jobs in Toyota assemble plants that were built primarily with state and local tax subsidies, that pay fewer benefits and offer only 401K pension plans that are half paid by the employees. The American consumer is the one that is export their own jobs as well as sending over four billion dollars annually to Japan tax free. Even Toyota has stopped saying that their vehicles are American made, because of complaints to the FCC. Toyota now says in their ads that the vehicles are assembled in the US of 'world sourced parts.' If it is ones intend to help the American economy buy only those vehicles with a 75% American parts content label and a '1' as the first number of the VIN. Avoid those with a J, K, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.
mike hunt
Rich wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

This is no different, though. How much IS that tax on the dividends? That's essentially a small percentage of a smaller percentage. IF they make a profit, that is, and IF they don't reinvest it or do other things with the money do dodge the taxes.

Not all foriegn plants are like this, though. Check the UAW website - a few are made with U.S. union labor.
Buy American - Save our Countries Jobs and its Economy. Jap , Korean , China cars have defects in workmanship too. The US Automakers build xlint cars and the cars mostly exceed imports in quality. Like the man said in his other posts : Keep buying Imports cars and goods and the only jobs "YOU" and Your "KIDS" will have is working at WENDY'S or WALMART. GET READY AMERICA FOR ANOTHER 1929 GREAT DEPRESSION ..... Say GoodBye to your Jobs !!! Brian - Las Vegas, NV
If you are interested in helping the American economy buy American. Vehicles made in the US by American federal tax paying corporations. Avoid those made in other countries or those merely assembled in the US of mostly imported parts, like the Camry, by corporations that pay no federal corporate income taxes. ..
mike hunt
u c c wrote:

Leave it to the American consumer to willfully export the jobs of their own offspring. Why Americans buy foreign cars, when there are so many American cars that are just as reliable or more so on the market that can be had for less money, is beyond me. That is so stupid.
mike hunt
";-p" wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:18:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

WalMart squeezes out "the little stores" WalMart doesn't pay their workers WalMart stocks imported merchandise etc.etc....etc...etc....
Everybody's down on WalMart except the people who shop there.
I've never been to a WalMart that wasn't crowded with shoppers ! They must be doing something right.
Back to GM and imports....... No matter how many excuses GM comes up with, Buick makes a car comparable to the Camry. Sells in the same price range too. So, WHY do the majority of shoppers choose TOYOTA ?? A used Camry sells for much more than a used Buick..... WHY ???
All the car buyers can't be stupid.
<rj>

People's greed is often stronger than their ethics when their paycheck comes. I've set foot in a Wal-Mart maybe ten times in my life and never bought anything. Either it was cheap consumer-grade junk that was below my standards(which aren't unreasonable, mind you), or the price was only slightly better than the local smaller stores.
My guess it is because the think Toyota makes a more dependable vehicle. From what we see in our business, servicing most every brand, that is only a myth. Today all manufacturer are building good vehicles. The only REAL difference we see is style and price.
Your opinion that the Camry and Buick cost the same, is exactly that an opinion, is not factual. One can drive home a similarly sized and equipped Buick for thousands less than a Camry. Further more the Buck will cost a lot less to repair when the time does come to make a repair and the difference as to when is inconsequential.
Just to set the record straight GM sells more car than Toyota and far more trucks.. So the question should be. if Toyota are so good why do buyers bay three times as many GM and twice as many Ford vehicles?
mike hunt
"" wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:07:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote: price.

Consumers vote with their pocketbooks.
BTW I love my Buick. Best road-car I ever owned. But I'm still worried about the infamous gasket leak that GM never fully addressed.
<rj>
The infamous gasket leaks were not limited to GM. Every manufacture had gasket problem after the government ordered asbestos off the market without allowing the gasket manufactures time to develop a suitable replacement material. The Camry is indeed the number one selling car in the US but both GM and Ford sell more car than Toyota and far more trucks. So I guess we must say consumers DO vote with their pocketbooks and more of them vote for GM and Ford by far than Toyota. Even Chrysler out sells Toyota. ;)
mike hunt
"" wrote:

Of course as long a GM looses a billion dollars a quarter, it isn't going to pay any taxes on profits (since there isn't any profits)

That is a big IF. Corporate taxes, jut like yours, are based on annual income. ;)
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in

Show me one...
Chronic quality problems seem to be happening with many of the major brands these days. Honda has put zillions of marginal automatic transmissions on the road and is only marginally better than GM is about taking responsibility.
Nope! Can't be true! We've already heard that Japanese manufacturers have no major component replacement problems. You must have dreamed this... ;)

InjunRAIV wrote:

Just read this:
http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/honda_transmission.html
or this:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s )2d58029f806eaa2e5267c5bdb1debe&threadid&160
or this:
and so on.
Unfortunately, GM isn't the only company which puts marginal product in the field and then attempts to avoid responsibility.
Lucky me, I have a GM van which has already needed the intake manifold gasket replace AND a Honda Accord with a chronic leaking transmission.
Must all be User Error, eh?
John
LOL. You may be the first Honda owner to admit their cars are just like all the rest! Congrats!

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s )2d58029f806eaa2e5267c5bdb1debe&threadid&160
If your concern is indeed for the 'little' guy you should go buy a new, not used, GM vehicle. The prices are terrific. Way below what it will cost you to buy a Toyota. ;)
mike hunt