Should I buy a GM? or should I jump ship?

But you just had to love all those "K" cars Mopar put out after the bail-out.....NOT!

Me too !!

If it aint a GM it just isn't an automobile. .

Reply to
Hardpan

Generally the Japanese (Toyata in particular) are no harder to repair than today's "american" iron. The parts are generally no more expensive, and the dealers are less likely, statistically, to rip you off.

And you generally don't need to repair the Jap stuff nearly as often either.

I had to do some work on my wife's Ford this week - and the bandits double charged me for some gaskets. Bag says i pkg of 2, I paid for 2 pkg of 1. I'm going back on Monday to raise a little hell. At $27.00 for a pair it's bad enough ------. The

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

That may be your personal opinion but I have no idea where you get your information to develop that opinion. I doubt you work in the industry. From what we see in our fleet service business, that does warranty and maintenance for most manufactures, Toyota parts do not only cost more generally than those of domestics, they cost a lot more, generally. A power steering pump for a Cadillac can be had for around $500, for a Lexus it is more like $1,500. Your assumption that Toyotas do not need to be repaired as often is flawed as well. The failure rate among Toyotas is on a par with the vehicles of most every other manufacture. As too Toyota dealerships they are way below the average on J D Powers customer satisfaction list every year.

Every manufacture is making good quality vehicle today. The only real difference among brands that we see is style and price, period. If customer surveys of all types of vehicles and brands were in percentages, rather than as a list of averages, you would find all brands to be in the 98% to 99% range as good vehicles.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.>

Reply to
BigJohnson

Funny how these folks that love the asian autos so much just have to chat on a GM forum. I guess they couldn't find alt.toyota.sucks One thing I do know Mike, every one has an opinion and most of the time it's the wrong one.

I said it once and I'll say it again,"if asians autos never broke then why does every asian made auto dealer have a service department?". GM cars require service more often because there are more of them out on the road. Pretty basic math.

Reply to
;-p

Now that Toyota is selling vehicles by the millions rather than by the hundreds of thousands, more Toyotas that are not up to snuff are showing up, as well. From what we see the so called superior quality of Japanese cars is a myth held only in the minds of their owners. Every manufacture is building good quality vehicles today

I have a collection of old cars that I take to various old car shows around the country. The Japanese have been selling vehicles in the US for over 50 years, if they are so superior to domestics where are the old ones? Except for an RX7 or a 'Z" on occasion one hardly ever see an old Japanese car at a show. Last week I attended an all British car show. There are even all Italian car shows, but have heard of an all Japanese car show ;)

mike hunt

";-p" wrote:

Reply to
RustyFendor

The old ones were INFERIOR. But what's happened over the last 25 years or so....pretty much starting with the 1977 Honda Accord...is that they leapfrogged the US makers and quality has remained better ever since. It's not merely a myth as you proclaim. Just because you correctly don't have any

30+ year old Hon/Toys as examples of quality doesn't mean that TODAY they are not the leader in quality. They are. And this is coming from someone who almost always drove Fords and occasionally GM. Moving to Japanese made my life MUCH less stressful.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

You are entitled to your opinion but that is not what we see in our service business. The failure rate among brands today is constant the only real difference we see is style and price.

Your personal experience with vehicles you have owned may be different but I personally have owned many foreign cars, including Honda and several Lexus' and they were no better than any domestics I have owned.

I see lots of domestics from the sixties seventies and eighties, but not any japanese cars from that same time period at car shows, and that is a fact. I know the reason, it is that they cost too much to keep in repair over time.

mike hunt

"D.D. Palmer" wrote:

Reply to
RustyFendor

Chronic quality problems seem to be happening with many of the major brands these days. Honda has put zillions of marginal automatic transmissions on the road and is only marginally better than GM is about taking responsibility.

Reply to
John Horner

Nope! Can't be true! We've already heard that Japanese manufacturers have no major component replacement problems. You must have dreamed this... ;)

Reply to
InjunRAIV

Just read this:

or this:

or this:

and so on.

Unfortunately, GM isn't the only company which puts marginal product in the field and then attempts to avoid responsibility.

Lucky me, I have a GM van which has already needed the intake manifold gasket replace AND a Honda Accord with a chronic leaking transmission.

Must all be User Error, eh?

John

Reply to
John Horner