Silouette DIC OIl Change Message Can't turn off

Help,

I have a 2000 Olds Silouette. The DIC when I start the van says to change the oil.

The owner's manual says to "Turn the key to the "run" position, push the throttle 3 times to full throttle within 5 seconds and turn ignition off".

I've tried that many many times. I've even opened the hood and pushed the throttle linkage open fully the same way and still no luck.

Is there any other method or how do I turn it off?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No, don't turn the ignition off after you push the throttle down three times. Wait until the change oil light flashes 5 times and then goes out. Then it should work.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian,

The manual says to turn it off. Also when it was working a few months ago, it never flashed. Also it's not a light it's a square box that actually shows a type written message.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

shiden_Kai wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Hey, don't bother listening to me, I only work on the stupid things all day long.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Bill, does the DIC have five pushbuttons on the side? If it does, then push the middle button until oil life is displayed. Then push the reset button and hold until the oil life display changes.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Ian,

I did try it and that didn't work.

Bill

shiden_Kai wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Bob,

No it has no buttons.

Bill

Robertwgross wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Ian,

I did try it and that didn't work.

Bill

shiden_Kai wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Have you tried it more then one time in a row? I've had a few vehicles that don't seem to "take" on the first try.

Here's what I do and see when resetting these reminders. Turn the key on, push the throttle down three times, the square box usually will show a battery symbol, then (leaving the key on)....you should see the "change engine oil" yellow light starting to flash (I know that it's text with a yellow background in the same box, but it's still a "change oil light" to me.) It should flash 5 times, and then the battery symbol should come back on. Turn off the key now. Repeat if this doesn't work. If you try it more then 5 times and it still doesn't work, then you may have another problem. But, I haven't seen one of these repaired for any kind of malfunction.

I had one truck the other day that I had to repeat the procedure about 5 times before it "took". Some vehicles will also continue to flash the change oil light 5 times after you start the vehicle. This goes away in a few key cycles.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Turn the key to the on position and do not start the engine. Press the gas pedal to the floor and release. Press the gas pedal to the floor and release again. Press the gas pedal to the floor and release yet again. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it for 10 seconds or more. Then start the van and see if the lamp is out.

Reply to
hyundaitech

On my Buick in the glove box there is a button that says oil change reset. check there if not pull out your car manual and look it up, im sure that the steps to reset it are in there. IF you still cant get it going im sure if you go to the local dealership they will reset it for you. Should not cost you anything..

Reply to
Michael Favretto