Slipping transmission? '95 Park Ave

Threaded View

Our 1995 Park Ave Ultra has developed an intermittent hesitation-surge.
I noticed today at about 70 mph on the freeway. It feels like the
transmission
slipps a little, then catches. Not really bad, but noticible. Before I
take it to the transmission shop, is there anything else that could cause
this?
There is no change in the RPM or speedometer that I can detect. And
it does not happen all the time. Seems to start after driving for perhaps 20
miles.

The car has 102000 miles, and the transmission was last serviced at about
50,000
so it's due for service anyway.

TIA

Ed

Re: Slipping transmission? '95 Park Ave

An slight engine misfire under load in o/d can feel like this.

-

Re: Slipping transmission? '95 Park Ave

Thanks, Shep. Any idea what kind of engine failure might cause such a
misfire?

BTW, what does overdrive have to do with it?

Ed

Re: Slipping transmission? '95 Park Ave

It's not really the overdrive, it's after the TCC is applied. When the TCC
is released, the "shudder" from any slight misfire in the engine will be
absorbed by the torque converter. Once the TCC is applied, the engine is
directly coupled to the transaxle and slight misfires are easily felt.

I think that sounds good.

Steve

cause
perhaps
about

Re: Slipping transmission? '95 Park Ave

Steve,

What is the TCC?

Also, if you have some ideas about what could cause slight engine misfires
I'd
like to hear them. Spark plugs? Crank shaft position sensor? ECU?

And what sounds good?

Sorry I'm such a dunce :-)

Thanks.

Ed

Re: Slipping transmission? '95 Park Ave

Here's what you should be inspecting to diagnose your "slipping", aka
"shudder," condition:
spark plugs
plug wires
ignition coils
ignition control module
fuel injector(s)
vacuum leak
egr valve
MAP/MAF
dirty/burnt/bent valves
worn cam
oxygen sensor
low fuel pressure
bad engine mounts
CV joints
TP sensor
cylinder compression
contaminated fuel
possible computer software update required (which doesn't appear to be
required)

TCC

Re: Slipping transmission? '95 Park Ave

Thanks, Steve. the car's going to the shop tomorrow for oil etc., and
I've asked them to start working down the list. They mentioned some
of the same things you did.

Ed

Site Timeline