Slow Coolant Loss 5.3L 2001 Tahoe

I've noticed over the past 9 months a slow loss of Dexcool coolant in my

2001 5.3 L Tahoe with 60,000 miles. I've had to top off the overflow tank with about 1/2 quart every 2 months or so.

A local oil change shop said they notice a slight coolant residue below the passenger-side cylinder head gasket, their thought on the likely site of coolant loss.

Is a leaking head gasket a common thing on this engine? Does anyone know of a GM tech service bulletin on this matter? I was just wondering if GM will take any financial responsibility for a head gasket replacement repair, if that proves to be the cause.

Thanks.

Reply to
AlanRab

I'd check the intake sealing area very carefully. This is a more frequent leak location and it may be running from there to the head gasket area.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"AlanRab" wrote

It's not a common repair, but I have seen the passenger side head gaskets leak on these engines. There is no bulletin or recall for this. You will be footing the bill. Make sure that you check carefully for the origin of the leak. The water pump gaskets on these engines also leak, and the position of the water pump gasket can make it appear as though its leaking from the cylinder head gasket area.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

"hyundaitech" wrote

This is the new generation small block. The 5.3 engines do not use a "wet" intake manifold. So there are no more "intake manifold gasket" leaks on these engines.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai