Slow Sales to Cut Pontiac G6 Production.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060131/AUTO01/601310373 / 1148

dealership with $20k cash in hand and drive out with a brand new 2006 GTP Coupe with special arraingments for a 5 year 50k mile warranty. The first mistake Pontiac made was abandoning the successful Grand Am nameplate for the unfamiliar G6. I can see a name change if were a totally radically different car for a different market, buts its just a Grand Am. Another example of GM cutting there own throat.
I just walked by my local Chevy dealer's overflow lot. This lot became empty when they had the big summer discount program. Still, those SUVs were the very last to go. Now the lot is restocked with 60 SUVs and 40 sedans roughly. Who has not learned the lesson? Is it the dealer or is GM force feeding dealers somewhat with incentives to push SUVs. I think you can expect some change from your $20K there Lumpy.
Lumpy Rutherford wrote:

Not really.
Pontiac trimmed the Gran Prix to nose down into Grand Am terrritory.
Then it offered the G6 for the real low end.
Bottom line: a real pontiac is a Grand Prix.
Lumpy Rutherford wrote:

The current fad of ditching names with history and replacing them with letter/number combinations is Bah Bah Bah Sheep Marketing think at it's worst!
John
John Horner wrote:

History has to start somewhere John. I don't suppose that it ever occurred to you that "letter/number combinations" are tomorrows history. ;-) You shouldn't resist change just because you don't like your comfortable little world changing around you John. You can be an agent of change or you can live in the past. Your choice John. I'm sure I've got some old 78's and a Victrola that you'd like John. *LOL* ;-)
Cool Jet wrote:
" I'm sure

Please put the Victrola out by the curb next pick up day. I'll get it then.
Al Bundy wrote:

*LOL* Actually, I lied Al. It's not a Victrola. It's a grammaphone (sp?) made by Starr Corporation out of Richmond, Indiana. I said Victrola because I knew how to spell Victrola. You may have to help me out with grammaphone though. Am I close on the spelling? It plays perfectly and I have at least 200 old Starr '78's to play on it.
Cool Jet wrote:

So you think that Pontiac made a good move by going with the G6 name?
What do you think about Ford's recent decision to rename the Lincoln Zephyr the MKZ just a short time after it's introduction?
John
John Horner wrote:

How about the Chrysler 300?

John Horner wrote:

Yep, my wife bought one.

Come on John, The Lincoln Zephyr disappeared years ago, only to be resurrected. The name Zephyr doesn't have much meaning to anyone under 55-60 years of age.

History repeats itself. Remember the Pontiac T1000, J2000, and 6000 STE from the early 1980s?
says...

Dennis Smith wrote:

Boy those were cars to remember ... not.