Sluge in coolant tank

Just bought a 2002 park ave that still has 6 months of factory warrenty left. There is lots of sludge in the coolant overflow resevoir so I took it to the dealer. They say that is normal. Is that
normal or should I press the issue?

Take it back and tell them--In a nice way--That its not normal for the dexcool to sludge up and that you want it fixed(if not fixed you well have problems later)....This subject has been talked about allot of times now about the cooling system gumming/sludge up...goto www.google.com and do a search about GM/Chev having coolant problems and you well find a sh#t load of info Good Luck Let us know how you make out
"ironworker7211" wrote:
> > > Just bought a 2002 park ave that still has 6 months of > factory > > warrenty left. There is lots of sludge in the coolant > overflow > > resevoir so I took it to the dealer. They say that is > normal. Is that > > normal or should I press the issue? > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/GM-Sluge-coolant-tank-ftopict106317.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pI5446 > ______________________________________________________________ > ______________________________________________________________ > ___________ > > Take it back and tell them--In a nice way--That its not normal > for the > dexcool to sludge up and that you want it fixed(if not fixed > you well have > problems later)....This subject has > been talked about allot of times now about the cooling system > gumming/sludge > up...goto > www.google.com > and do a search about GM/Chev having coolant problems and you > well find a > sh#t load of info > Good Luck > Let us know how you make out
I just made a Wednesday appt with another delearship across town. Maybe they will be more consumer friendly???
LeBuick wrote:

It's normal....about all you will get from them will be to take the tank off and wash it out. At this point, I'd be changing the Dexcool anyway. Check your rad cap, if there is any signs of sludging there, install a new rad cap. This is normal maintenance stuff, just do it and don't waste your time trying to get the dealership to "warranty" it.
Ian
Lan, I can't often say this but I think you may be wrong on this one. My brother had this problem on his truck and the dealer did a complete system flush under warranty. It seems to have corrected the problem too (they think the system was not bled properly at the factory).
As in the past, the MACS 2001 Convention and Trade Show in Orlando provided some very interesting and helpful air conditioning information. However, the sleeper presentation at this show was not about refrigerant, butof all thingsengine coolant! (Sleeper does not refer to making you sleepy; it was anything but boring.) Marketing departments of major consumer goods manufacturers are known for their attempt to conceal even a shred of negative publicity about their products. You can't blame them; you do the same in your business. That's why it was refreshing to witness a candid GM/Texaco presentation about DEX-COOL coolant and its related field service problems. I give the big guys credit for even bringing up the subject because, well, let's face it, there are not a lot of kind words being spoken about this coolant at automotive service shops today. (Especially at radiator shops.) GM's Jay Dankovich and Equilon Enterprises' (Texaco) Stede Granger directed a 2-year study of thousands of DEX-COOL cooled vehicles. Armed with the results, they really didn't have anything bad to say about the coolant. In fact, they strongly defended the product's reputation. What they revealed to the audience is that specific models of GM vehicles have specific cooling system contamination problems. And essentially, that DEX-COOL is not the culprit! Their presentation started with a 14-minute video that is now being circulated to technicians at GM dealers nationwide. In the video, GM's trainers succinctly described the problems that have been found and the corresponding corrective actions to be taken by technicians. Suggestion. This video is a "must see" for all technicians considering themselves antifreeze/coolant experts. Without this information, your cooling system service knowledge of late model GM vehicles is severely limited. Seriously! Fortunately, you can buy the video for only $10 (plus S&H). Call MSX International of Auburn Hills, Michigan at 800-393-4831. Ask for the DEX-COOL Video: "Understanding Radiator Cap and Cooling System Contamination." Part number: RADCAPK. Immediately following this article is a report on this training video by John Brunner, recently retired GM field service representative. What was said at the presentation? Besides the video, Jay and Stede included their personal observations about the study. At the end, they fielded several questions from the audience. Here's a recap of their entire presentation. 1. Keep the cooling system filled. In fact, fill the reservoir bottle to "Hot" level when the system is cold. Problems arise when a system's coolant level is not maintained. (Fleet vehicles receiving regular maintenance, and with reservoirs kept slightly above normal, do not show signs of contamination. This even applies to the specific "problem" vehicles.) 2. The coolant problems found in this survey were caused by system contamination, and not due to the breakdown of DEX-COOL. 3. Check and keep the pressure cap clean and functioning. A contaminated and/or malfunctioning cap causes low coolant levels, which in turn causes overheating and a greater loss of coolant: the notorious vicious cycle. No matter what the vehicle, if the cooling system acts suspiciously, test the pressure cap. 4. On the ST vehicle models mentioned in the GM DEX-COOL video, you "must" replace all suspect radiator caps, especially those with a Drop-Center design, with a Stant Model 10230 or 11230 (Spring-Center type). (Just DO it.) 5. Make sure that the coolant is at a 50-50 mix. Often, the flush water was not being removed from the engine block. Consequently, when a 50-50 mix is added to the system the resultant mixture could approach 30-70. Like any fluid that has been diluted beyond its recommended levels, the lowered level of inhibitors will not be able to protect the coolant system effectively. Low levels of inhibitors can cause pitting on aluminum surfaces and general corrosion of cooling system metals. 6. A safe method of achieving a true 50-50 mix is to first determine the actual capacity of the system (use the owner's manual). Then add 50% of "that" amount of undiluted DEX-COOL (or any coolant), and top it off with water. 7. Mixing a "green" coolant with DEX-COOL reduces the batch's change interval to 2 years or 30,000 miles, but will otherwise cause no damage to the engine. In order to change back to DEX-COOL however, the cooling system must first be thoroughly drained and flushed. 8. Bacteria cannot live in a hot, Ethylene Glycol environment and is therefore not a threat to DEX-COOL. 9. While there have been intake gasket failures on CK Series, V8 powered vehicles for various reasons, DEX-COOL has never been found as a cause. 10. Use a refractometer to check the condition of DEX-COOL. Its inhibitor package is strong enough that if the batch still provides proper freeze protection, it is probably still providing proper corrosion protection as well. 11. DEX-COOL can handle the minerals in hard water better than silicated conventional chemistry coolants. Drinkable water is suitable for top off. 12. In ST Blazer applications where the radiator cap is mounted at an angle to the ground, the vehicle is more susceptible to radiator cap contamination and its related problems. The Stant 10230 is a wise choice for these vehicles. http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool-macs2001.htm
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote in 3211.bay.webtv.net:

you maufacture have manufacturing defects such as contamination problems, why in the world would you choose a chemical component which will cause massive problems if it is introduced into these products, when other alternatives which don't produce this problem are available. As far as your comments about Dexcool being able to handle hard water better than the alternatives, GM blames most of the problems on inadequate maintenance of the cooling systems. Hard Water should never be introduced into any cooling system, Period!!!. Talk about doubletalk and Bullshit!!.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a maintenance headache if you have to keep that close tabs on things just to avoid air contamination (that doesn't seem to affect other coolant products). Sounds like a diversion and "pass-the-buck" marketing sham to me.
"DEX-COOL" is the worst product to ever be introduced to your Car/Truck...I've been through the headache's it causes and any other car or truck I buy well have the regular green anti freeze installed(never a problem)...of course GM won't admit any problems because they would have a huge bill to pay for all the vehicles that have problems now and in the past

"ironworker7211" wrote: > "DEX-COOL" is the worst product to ever be introduced to your > Car/Truck...I've been through the headache's it causes and any > other car or truck I buy well have the regular green anti > freeze > installed(never a problem)...of course GM won't admit any > problems because > they would have a huge bill to pay for all the vehicles that > have problems > now and in the past > >
> > &nbsp;>> 3211.bay.webtv.net: > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> OK Einstein, let me ask you a simple question. If you > know the products > &nbsp;>> you maufacture have manufacturing defects such as > contamination problems, > &nbsp;>> why in the world would you choose a chemical > component which will cause > &nbsp;>> massive problems if it is introduced into these > products, when other > &nbsp;>> alternatives which don't produce this problem are > available. > &nbsp;>> As far as your comments about Dexcool being able to > handle hard water > &nbsp;>> better than the alternatives, GM blames most of the > problems on > &nbsp;>> inadequate > &nbsp;>> maintenance of the cooling systems. Hard Water should > never be introduced > &nbsp;>> into any cooling system, Period!!!. > &nbsp;>> Talk about doubletalk and Bullshit!!. > > > > I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a maintenance > headache if you > > have to keep that close tabs on things just to avoid air > contamination > > (that doesn't seem to affect other coolant products). > Sounds like a > > diversion and "pass-the-buck" marketing sham to me. > >
Got me old car back from the dealership, the guy did a great job of cleaning the outside of the overflow tank but left all the sludge inside. He also washed it, sprayed scent inside, topped off all the fluids, gave me a free 21 point inspection and let me know how "awesome" these $35 per wheel wheelcaps would look on my car.
I brought it to the attention of the service manager and he said it was $115 to clean the inside. That was the charge for a flush. i explained that I appreciated all the time the guy gave my car today but this is why I left the car and I asked for a manager.
The shop foreman came out, opened the radiator cap and said, "oh, youve been mixed. The previous owner must have put the green stuff in and that is why I am sludging so bad".
He then recommended some kind of acid flush treatment that they wont charge me for if I get the $115 standard flush. Does this sound right?
t about going to a D I Y car wash, and blast the tank, inside + out ?
Rich B wrote:

I think we might be talking about different problems.
As far as the other stuff in your post that you quoted....I've seen all that stuff before.
Ian
No Lan, I think that the symptoms may be the same, sludge in the coolant recovery tank. But, I'll have to agree with you and Jim because not all of it is GM's fault (and should be covered by warranty) at least some of the blame falls on the owner. Lucky for my brother that he checks his vehicles at least once a week. As for the article, I've posted it before and only did it for those who have not seen it.