Smelly exhaust

I own a 89 Bonni and a 94 GMC safari. The exhaust from the Bonni smells clean when you stand beside it ie normal. When I stand beside my v6 w engine Safari it smells like my old 63 pontiac did with no pollution control. I have changed everything related to this except for the cat converter. It gets the rated milage that it should. Any thoughts here??? I cant even get my dog to walk by the van. I have to turn it off to get him in when we go for a car ride.

Reply to
Tim Thomson

"" wrote: > I own a 89 Bonni and a 94 GMC safari. > The exhaust from the Bonni smells clean when you stand beside > it ie > normal. > When I stand beside my v6 w engine Safari it smells like my > old 63 > pontiac did with no pollution control. I have changed > everything related > to this except for the cat converter. It gets the rated milage > that it > should. Any thoughts here??? I cant even get my dog to walk > by the van. > I have to turn it off to get him in when we go for a car > ride.

You are smell and byproduct of the gas and the converter (sulpher traces or something else) So can smell sometimes. Try changing to a completely different brand of gas for a few tank fulls.

Reply to
SnoMan

The Safari catcon is probably shot. Several things to try:

*Drive real fast on the freeway for several hours. That might burn the sulfur and other contaminates off of the cat and rejuvenate it. *Definitely change gas stations. *Probable problem with the fuel system. Monitor the O2 sensors for correct output - fuel rich exhaust will kill a cat in no time.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Nope no sulpher smell. I smells like an old car with no polution control. at cold idle. A little better when its hot.

Reply to
Tim Thomson

Thats what I wanted to here. I did change the o2 sensor because it was plugged with carbon. Not so much that it gave it a code. Just probably gave false ready of the o2. Wouldn't a restricked o2 sensor make it run lean though?

Reply to
Tim Thomson

A O2 sensors with reduced voltage output will tell the ecu that the exhaust is running lean. The ecu responds by dumping in more fuel. Better check the O2 voltages (ALL of them - not just one) when you put the new cat on. If there is something wrong, like leaking injector, bad regulator, the excess fuel will destroy the new cat in just a few day= s.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul