smoke on a cold start

I have a 98 Grand Am with 3100 v6, everytime I start it after sitting overnight, black smoke comes out for a couple seconds when it starts, this car has had the engine replaced.

Check for fuel in the vacuum hose to the fuel press regulator if so the reg is bad.

-
would this also cause it to have poor pick up from a dead start? I mean it wont spin tires but once it gets going (like 5 or 10) it kicks in and goes like hell

A loaded up engine, yeh that could be one symptom.

-
Yeah, but wouldnt the check engine light come on?

Not unless the pcm sees a number of times this occurrs.

-
So how could I tell if the unit was bad by taking it ofF?

Look inside the vacuum hose for traces of raw fuel.

-
Ok, will do first thing tomorrow, kinda too cold now to do anything..