soldering

Could anyone tell me if silver solder is what is used to solder automobile wiring? And what do you wrap it in after soldering? Is there a particular type of soldering iron that is better for cars?

Thanks

Sorry no one has answered you. No, do NOT use silver solder for automobile wiring. Silver solder is a special application solder melting at a rather high temperature. Use of it is more consistent with applications which might require "brazing".

For automotive wiring use standard electronics solder, either rosin core or non rosin core. Do NOT use acid core solders.

There are some low lead solders now that are intended mostly for use in potable water systems. I would not use these either, if I could still buy lead based electronic solders.

Reply to
hls