Solstice

I saw my first Pontiac Solstice in person today. What a beautiful car. It looks great form all angles, especially from the rear.

Well done GM and Bob Lutz.

Reply to
Charles

Yes and at its base price of $19,995 it is thousands below many of it cooperators 2 seaters.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm sure it will attract a lot of young buyers at that price. I looked at the web page and added many thousands of $$ in options to make it acceptable to my 60 year old tush! I hope they are successful with it as it is a sharp car.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Really!? I had one sitting in the bay beside me for two days and I didn't really like it all that much. It's too bad that they didn't release it with an optional v-6 engine right away. The Ecotec is just a bit rough for my liking.

This particular vehicle was brought in by our dealership owner for his "girlfriend". The licence plate that was put on the car reads "38 DD". I'm assuming he bought those too!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yeah, it's a nice car. BUT, check out it's sibling Saturn Sky Red Line:

are over $26,000 for one that I would want to drive.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

LMAO! Ian, that might be worth a trip to Edmonton! *LOL

Reply to
Cool Jet

Both are over $26,000 for one that I would want to drive.

Reply to
Charles

Before you say well done, take a look at the trunk space and its arrangement. And the rear visibility when the top is up.

I looked at the Pontiac flavor at a local auto show and was extremely disappointed at the very small and horribly laid out (there is a big tumor in the floor) trunk. Next to useless. Rear visibility (top up) same thing.

Granted, a sports car will not often have a big boot, but this is ridiculous.

This is, to me , another example of a 9/10's GM offering. They get things

90% done very well, and totally screw up the rest. It's like the adults were absent for the final decision on the new model.

Makes me wonder what they will screw up with the forthcoming Camaro and GTO.

Reply to
Charles U' Farley

I saw one on the road yesterday. I did not like the appearance at all.

Reply to
<HLS

Perfect car if your 4' 9" tall

H.

Reply to
Harry Face

With the top up the trunk space is 3.8 cubic feet compared to the Mazda Miata's 1.9 cubic feet. With the top down it shrinks to 1.8 cubic feet and the Mazda's goes to nada, zilch. The "tumor" in the bottom of the trunk holds the top up off the bottom so you can get two medium sized soft sided pieces of luggage in the bottom, plus a "small" softsided wardrobe along the rear. Compared to the other imported 2 seat, soft top roadsters we looked at, nothing else comes close to the trunk space. They also put storage pouches on the front and rear of the seats, as well as a small storeage area in the center for cd's and sunglasses (ala Fiero).

I'm 6'1" and we ordered ours a week ago. I could not find anything that even came close in features or price(besides the Miata, now Mx something) and with the Miata you do need to be a hobbit.

Jim

Reply to
George Jetson

Jim, you don't know what you are talking about w.r.t. Miata trunk space

Read:

Outake: "Space. Though dear inside for taller folks, it's generous in the trunk. The official number is 5.3 cubic feet, which is small, but it trumps Solstice's 3.5 (or 3.8, depending on which estimate you believe). And Miata's is a useful rectangle, while Solstice's wraps around a big hump in the trunk. Miata's trunk is the same top up or down, while Solstice's vanishes to nearly nothing when the top's folded because it's housed in the trunk."

Cut the crap, dude. The Solstice is better passenger-cabin wise for 6 footers, but it is inferior to Miata any way you look at it in the boot.

The Solstice boot is a joke. GM should be ashamed. I was as excited asanyone when I first saw the Soltice. GM screwed up some of the details and the non-boot is a deal killer for me.

- GRL George Jets> > Before you say well done, take a look at the trunk space and its

Reply to
GLitwinski