spark plug change - 93 transport 3.8

Anyone out there know if it is possible to change the back 3 plugs on a 3.8 litre 1993 Pontiac Transport without having to undo the engine mounts. I can see the plugs with a mirror and can just reach them with a stretch but I don't know if I can get a socket and ratchet in there. Is there a special tool for this or am I going to have to fork out $300 for four hours of shop labour to change these? Thanks for any input - Ken

Reply to
Ken Yale

Get yourself at least a Chilton or Haynes service manual and it should have the procedure.

On later model GM vans you remove the top engine mounts and actually rotate the engine forward. I don't know if this applies to the '93.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to
Shep

Thanks for the info John and Shep. I attempted it today and must report that it can be done without undoing any mounts. I must admit though that it was a pain in the ass. My arms will take a few days to recover from all the scratches and dents on them. The hardest part was getting the cables off the rear plugs. I twisted them first to break the seal but they were still not easy to pull off with two fingers and not much room. The plugs then came out relatively easily with a 3/8" ratchet with a u-joint. Putting the new ones in was also easier than I expected when doing it blind. No trouble finding the holes. It probably took me between 2 to 3 hours to do including changing the cables as well.

Hope this info might be of some use to any like minded do-it-yourselfers out there.

Reply to
Ken Yale