spark plug gap and timing help!!!

Will it effect the timing in a 1990 regal 3.1. The gap is supose to be 0.60 and when I removed the plugs they were gapped 0.35. It had high nox on the
e-test about 1025 to be exact @ 40km dyno run. HAS new egr gaskets, o2 sensor, 2 new converters (only calls for 1), new oil and plug wires. EGR is working fine..I had it tested.
I noticed the egr gasket leaking causing it to surge at idle sometimes. But back to the question. Will this cause the timing ,which is computer controlled, to be affected or make the engine burn fuel hotter ?. The e-test guy said it is burning the fuel too hot. HELP..
Forget the gap no effect. Does the egr work, will it stall the engine if operated manually at idle? Is the egr working throgh pcm commands, this is the number 1 cause of high nox, carbon deposits, and high engine temps also.

-
well. I got the car e-tested (dropped from 1025 to 611 nox),and the plug gap was the problem. After the plugs were gapped it passed. The mechanic said that it was burning to hot due to the plugs. Thanx all who helped.

I am deeply moved...
I wouldnt have believed this would have made so much difference.
Chevrolet wrote:

I am absolutely amazed! I don't see how that could have made a difference. A smaller gap should fire sooner because it would take less voltage but I would think the difference would be almost undetectable.
I thought so too...but it makes sense when he described it.. with the gap too close it was firing quicker (and hotter) then normal.. the computer had to compensate for it and it causes numerous changes in the system to make up for the changes. Two other mechanics I called agreed.. Just thought I'd pass it on as someone else may have the same problem and waste money on parts like the guy I bought the car from. The converter and o2 sensor were a big waste of money but the garage he took it to the 5 times it failed before said the same thing.. "plugs and wires " won't effect e-test... anyone doubting this can go to www.driveclean.com , click check vehicle emission testing history, then type this vin 2G4WB11T5L1433644 and see how many times it failed and after I gapped the plugs it passed.. It won't show the e-test that failed the fifth time as it only posts 5 test at a time. " Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

Agreed, more likely the engine wasn't as hot. " Paul " <" =?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q??="

-
the amount of time difference between buildup/release voltage of plugs gapped at .035 and plugs gapped at .060 would be measured in fractions of a microsecond, and are beyond the ecm's ability to even measure. more importantly, it would affect the timing by only about a 10,000th of a degree. since electronic ignitions use transistors to induce flyback voltage in a coil, the reaction speed is so high, that the time difference between the two gaps could not be the cause. if gap was to play a role here, i would say it's about 99% more likely that the smaller gap was not igniting the mixture occasionally, due to small spark frontal area, causing the o2 sensor to detect a "too rich" condition from the cycles where the combustion was either non existant, or weak. the ecm responds by leaning the mixture out, which now creates an overly lean condition in the cylinders (causes overheating and high nox) but since it's still not firing completely occasionally the mixture seems correct at the o2 sensor so the ecm thinks everything is ok. this scenerio seems far more plausable than saying that it takes longer for electricity to build up and travel an extra .015 inches, especially when you consider that it travels at the speed of light. even accounting for the difference it takes to get the cascade reaction & thus spark, we're talking a time differnce that your cars ecm could never measure, much less a timing light, or any other normal car diagnostic tool.