Spark Plug Wire Question

I have a 1972 350 4 barrel with HEI, in a 1967 chevy C10 pickup which isn't driven much. Recently changed Spark Plugs and it runs fine except under load and then it cuts out but if you let off gas it runs smooth
again. Checked under hood at night and there are no obvious arching between wires or to ground. Are the wires still the most like culprit. They haven't been changed in 20 years, Yea I know, but they never caused any problems. TIA

Could also be the carb out of adjustment, spilling too much fuel into the intake.
After 20 years, change the wires anyway. Your truck will thank you :) Vuarra
They can look fine on the outside and still be no good. The core becomes brittle and twisitng and wiggling them to remove and replace them might have separated the core in one or more of them. You can pull them off and check with an ohm meter but after 20 years I wouldn't even bother I'd just replace them with a good quality set. Even if it isn't all your problems the new wires won't hurt.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"
I have a 1972 350 4 barrel with HEI, in a 1967 chevy C10 pickup which isn't driven much. Recently changed Spark Plugs and it runs fine except under load and then it cuts out but if you let off gas it runs smooth again. Checked under hood at night and there are no obvious arching between wires or to ground. Are the wires still the most like culprit. They haven't been changed in 20 years, Yea I know, but they never caused any problems. TIA
Replace your fuel filter....

clean the gas tank next summer. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked the obvious. Thanks for responding.
Plug gaps are proper? On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:34:14 -0700, tango wrote:

--
remove 'spamsucks' from mail addy for replies.
I fart in Darl McBride's general direction.

don't think any gremlins have messed with the HEI.

have said the HEI has been on the truck for the 20 years I have owned it. All responses are appreciated.
OK, I didn't know. Assuming the coil, cap, rotor have been eliminated, it could be the wires on the pickup coil have almost broken off or the coil is week.