Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

Hello all. Today I decided to change the spark plugs on my 1996 Chevy Lumina, with the 3.1 liter engine. I find I cannot access the rear bank of plugs. In fact, I cannot even see them because the engine is so close to the firewall. How does one access these plugs? Thanks in advance for your help.

Add pictures here
βœ–
¨For similar applications, you disconnect the dogbone motor mount, and rock the engine forward.
I might assume this applies to your car.
It is easy, but not a piece of cake.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Hello all.&nbsp; Today I decided to change the spark plugs on my 1996 Chevy Lumina, with the 3.1 liter engine.&nbsp;&nbsp;I find I cannot access the rear bank of plugs.&nbsp; In fact, I cannot even see them because the engine is so close to the firewall.&nbsp; How does one access these plugs?&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks in advance for your help.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
take that dog bone out, and put the car in reverse hold the brake and give it a little gas, have an assistant put a block of wood behind the engine so it doesnt go back to its original spot
Hello all. Today I decided to change the spark plugs on my 1996 Chevy Lumina, with the 3.1 liter engine. I find I cannot access the rear bank of plugs. In fact, I cannot even see them because the engine is so close to the firewall. How does one access these plugs? Thanks in advance for your help.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh God, don't do that. Remove the dog bones, put bolt back in mount and use pry bar or use ratchet strap.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
There is a safer way than this, most mechanics use a tool that you install in the dogbone mount and tightn down. This rocks the engine forward. Roy

Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks for everyone's comments. This morning I removed the bolts from the dog bones (2) and tried to rock the engine forward by hand. It moved maybe 1/2 inch and stopped. Do you think the engine mounts are restricting the movement? Do they have to be loosened? I would think no matter what tool was used, the mounts would limit the amount of forward movement. I may end up taking the car to the dealership as the thought of having my arms between an engine set to spring back into place and the firewall, while tugging on sparkplugs, seems to be more than a bit risky.
take that dog bone out, and put the car in reverse hold the brake and <BR>&gt;&gt; give it a little gas, have an assistant put a block of wood behind the <BR>&gt;&gt; engine so it doesnt go back to its original spot<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Oh God, don't do that. Remove the dog bones, put bolt back in mount and <BR>&gt; use pry bar or use ratchet strap.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Steve<BR>&gt; <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
Use a ratchet strap to pull and hold the engine forward.

Add pictures here
βœ–
'Scuse me while I top post.
You'll need Thexton part number THE419X or similar, but I've always used a racheting motorcycle tiedown strap. Also, the car has to be in neutral before you can rock the engine forward.
Steve Mackie wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Good point about it being in neutral. I will go out this weekend and buy one those ratcheting straps. I do have one question. What does this do to the engine mounts? Do I stand the chance of ripping them by pulling the engine forward?
&gt;&gt; take that dog bone out, and put the car in reverse hold the brake and<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt; give it a little gas, have an assistant put a block of wood behind the<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt; engine so it doesnt go back to its original spot<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Oh God, don't do that. Remove the dog bones, put bolt back in mount and<BR>&gt; &gt; use pry bar or use ratchet strap.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Steve<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
The car must be in NEUTRAL !!!