Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

Threaded View

Hello all.  Today I decided to change the spark plugs on my 1996 Chevy =
Lumina, with the 3.1 liter engine.  I find I cannot access the rear bank =
of plugs.  In fact, I cannot even see them because the engine is so =
close to the firewall.  How does one access these plugs?   Thanks in =
advance for your help.

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

=A8For similar applications, you disconnect the dogbone motor mount, and =
rock the=20
engine forward. =20

I might assume this applies to your car.

It is easy, but not a piece of cake.

  Hello all.  Today I decided to change the spark plugs on my 1996 Chevy =
Lumina, with the 3.1 liter engine.  I find I cannot access the rear bank =
of plugs.  In fact, I cannot even see them because the engine is so =
close to the firewall.  How does one access these plugs?   Thanks in =
advance for your help.

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

take that dog bone out, and put the car in reverse hold the brake and give
it a little gas, have an assistant put a block of wood behind the engine so
it doesnt go back to its original spot

¨For similar applications, you disconnect the dogbone motor mount, and rock
the
engine forward.

I might assume this applies to your car.

It is easy, but not a piece of cake.

  Hello all.  Today I decided to change the spark plugs on my 1996 Chevy
Lumina, with the 3.1 liter engine.  I find I cannot access the rear bank of
plugs.  In fact, I cannot even see them because the engine is so close to
the firewall.  How does one access these plugs?   Thanks in advance for your
help.

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

Oh God, don't do that. Remove the dog bones, put bolt back in mount and use
pry bar or use ratchet strap.

Steve

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

There is a safer way than this, most mechanics use a tool that you install
in the dogbone mount and tightn down.  This rocks the engine forward.
Roy

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

Thanks for everyone's comments.  This morning I removed the bolts from =
the dog bones (2)  and tried to rock the engine forward by hand.  It =
moved maybe 1/2 inch and stopped.  Do you think the engine mounts are =
restricting the movement?  Do they have to be loosened? I would think no =
matter what tool was used, the mounts would limit the amount of forward =
movement.  I may end up taking the car to the dealership as the thought =
of having my arms between an engine set to spring back into place and =
the firewall, while tugging on sparkplugs, seems to be more than a bit =
risky. =20
  There is a safer way than this, most mechanics use a tool that you =
install=20
  in the dogbone mount and tightn down.  This rocks the engine forward.
  Roy
  >> take that dog bone out, and put the car in reverse hold the brake =
and=20
  >> give it a little gas, have an assistant put a block of wood behind =
the=20
  >> engine so it doesnt go back to its original spot
  >
  > Oh God, don't do that. Remove the dog bones, put bolt back in mount =
and=20
  > use pry bar or use ratchet strap.
  >
  > Steve
  >=20

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

Use a ratchet strap to pull and hold the engine forward.

Thanks for everyone's comments.  This morning I removed the bolts from the
dog bones (2)  and tried to rock the engine forward by hand.  It moved maybe
1/2 inch and stopped.  Do you think the engine mounts are restricting the
movement?  Do they have to be loosened? I would think no matter what tool
was used, the mounts would limit the amount of forward movement.  I may end
up taking the car to the dealership as the thought of having my arms between
an engine set to spring back into place and the firewall, while tugging on
sparkplugs, seems to be more than a bit risky.
There is a safer way than this, most mechanics use a tool that you install
in the dogbone mount and tightn down.  This rocks the engine forward.
Roy

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

'Scuse me while I top post.

You'll need Thexton part number THE419X or similar, but I've always
used a racheting motorcycle tiedown strap.  Also, the car has to be in
neutral before you can rock the engine forward.

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina

Good point about it being in neutral.  I will go out this weekend and =
buy one those ratcheting straps.  I do have one question.  What does =
this do to the engine mounts?  Do I stand the chance of ripping them by =
pulling the engine forward? =20

  Steve Mackie wrote:
  > Use a ratchet strap to pull and hold the engine forward.
  >
  > Thanks for everyone's comments.  This morning I removed the bolts =
from the
  > dog bones (2)  and tried to rock the engine forward by hand.  It =
moved maybe
  > 1/2 inch and stopped.  Do you think the engine mounts are =
restricting the
  > movement?  Do they have to be loosened? I would think no matter what =
tool
  > was used, the mounts would limit the amount of forward movement.  I =
may end
  > up taking the car to the dealership as the thought of having my arms =
between
  > an engine set to spring back into place and the firewall, while =
tugging on
  > sparkplugs, seems to be more than a bit risky.
  > There is a safer way than this, most mechanics use a tool that you =
install
  > in the dogbone mount and tightn down.  This rocks the engine =
forward.
  > Roy
  > >> take that dog bone out, and put the car in reverse hold the brake =
and
  > >> give it a little gas, have an assistant put a block of wood =
behind the
  > >> engine so it doesnt go back to its original spot
  > >
  > > Oh God, don't do that. Remove the dog bones, put bolt back in =
mount and
  > > use pry bar or use ratchet strap.
  > >
  > > Steve

Re: Spark Plugs in Chevy Lumina