Speedometer wire?

Hi I have a 1985 Cadillac Cimarron. Ok I know. Hardly worth to be called a Cadillac. But anyway... Here is my problem: There is a squeaking sound from the speedometer wire (if that is the right word for it, you know what I mean) when I drive. How can I get to the wire so I can grease (oil) the wire? It's just a lot of dashboard in the way! Thankful for all the help I can get.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Dunno how to get to the cable, but use graphite, not oil.

Reply to
jcr

If your speedo cluster is anything like the 89 Cavalier Z -24 I had - and the Cimarron is based off a Cavalier platform. It was pretty easy to remove the cluster.

My 89 had all kinds of visible philips head screws to remove the trim and dash panels around the cluster. A few screws around the outer diameter of the cluster held the cluster into the dash.

Pull it forward remove a few wire plug ins. On the 89 cluster a round spring band held the speedo cable end into the back of the cluster. Once the cluster is puled forward I think you can squeeze the spring band to release it. Once the cluster is out of the way you can pull the cable out & lube it.

Looking at a shop manual would be a good starting point too.

Good Luck

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Hi I just want to tell you guys that I was able to unscrew the speedometer cable at it's connection on the transmission under the hood. It was hard to reach but not impossible. With the cable lose I could turn it "upside down" and "fill" it with a thin oil. And the sound is gone! (At least for now!). Thanks for all the tips.

Roger

Reply to
Roger