Split Radiator Tank

'92 GMC Sonoma 4.3 L

Driver side radiator tank (plastic) split near top. Is it possible to replace the tank at home? I see that the tank is crimped on. Are there any special tools available to uncrimp and remove, and recrimp a new tank on? It really looks straightforward if I can get a new tank and seal. I would like to hear from someone that has done this before.

Thanks

Reply to
Flash

I dislike crappy plastic radiators, consider an all metal replacement. Possibly a radiator from an earlier year fits, and uses brass tanks. My knowledge stops at 84, as a fellow poster so gently reminded me.

Reply to
451ctds

Reply to
Wooduuuward

FWIW My 84 El Camino was built with an all metal radiator. Perhaps the S

10 being a new model., had plastic tanks from day 1 . I've seen plastic tanks last the life of the core, and have seen them fail. I've never seen a metal tank fail. Today's copper sucks, compared with early cars.
Reply to
451ctds