Squealing Brakes

Just put a new set of front rotors & pads on my '99 Malibu. This time I'm getting brake squeal at low speeds & light pedal pressure. I've heard different opinions on this, such as:
1. Lube the backing plates & contact points with high-temp grease.
2. Glue the backing plates down with 'anti-squeal' compound.
3. Give them a few K to 'break-in' & it'll go away on its own.
What's the collective wisdom, grease 'em, glue 'em or leave 'em be??
Regards, Al.
Al Haunts wrote:

I don't know about collective wisdom, but I've been using silicone grease on the back of front brake pads for years now. This seems to work better then that "anti-squeal" compound, which I've used in the past. I don't see any of my brake work back for squealing pads. Note: this assumes you use the OEM pads. We had a lot of problems with "A/C Delco" pads and aftermarket pads.
Second note: It's not uncommon for disc brake pads to have some minor squeal under the conditions you mention. Try the grease and see if there is any difference.
Ian
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:29:24 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

Another thought is to try the new ceramic pads. Amazingly clean running pads & I've yet to hear any complaints with regards to squealing.
Though they're a touch on the expensive side.....

I've thought about going that route. I'm tired of fighting a losing batlle with brake dust.
Are they harder on the rotors than traditional pads?
I expect to replace rotors after maybe 3 sets of pads, but some pads seem a lot tougher on the rotors than others.
Regards, Al.

I haven't had enough in long enough to know for certain (no customers in Taxi's :-) But so far so good. and the ceramic mix pads seem to do as good dust wise at nearly 1/2 the cost ( $80 CDN v/s $145 CDN)
Fingers crossed so far
Let us know if you do try them how you find them

I install them about one out of 4 brake jobs. I always use anti-squeal on the backing plates. So far the only one with a squeal is my 1998 Century, which has had a brake squeal since I have had it. It's no where near as bad as it used to be. I drive with my windows down rather often, and would say it's in the acceptable range.
As for the pads them self, they work rather well. I get Ceramic-Titanium's here for $18.50 to $30 per set at the jobber supply parts house. Charles