squeeling sierra

My 2000 sierra 4.3 squeels when its damp or after a rain like a bad bearing or waterpump. Had it to the dealer, they put on belt dressing and changed the belt once and it still does it. I Can't seem to narrow down where the noise is coming from with a stethescope--- any suggestions------thanx

Reply to
chuck

remove belt check all belt grooves and make sure they are clean and spin each pully and see if any are loose or make noise if one makes noise replace idler assembly and install belt.

Reply to
gmgoodwrench2002

"chuck" wrote

Well....that was pretty stupid of the dealer to put belt dressing on a serpentine belt. That "never" works. In a case like this, I usually clean off all the pulleys with brake cleen, replace the belt, and replace the tensioner. There have been a lot of problems with the belt tensioners.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I tried to clean pulleys with brake clean and wire brush, it was still somewhat noisy so in the morning I'll pick up a new belt on the way home from work----it did seem less noisy with the new tensioner so maybe the belt will do it-------Thanx

Reply to
chuck

Changed the belt today and wa la, silence is back and life is good. Thanks again for for the help.

Reply to
chuck