Starter? Maybe, maybe not?

Friends,

I have a 1998 Lumina. Last night when I got in it I turned the ignition all I got was ONE click. I replaced the battery but it is still doing the same thing; one click. Is it true that the starter solenoid on the 98's is part of the starter and you have to replace the whole shootin' match? Can one click be indicative of a bad starter because I always thought that you would get a constant clicking? How hard is it to change?

I read somewhere about some recent recalls involving the starter or ignition switch but can't find out anything more about it. Does anyone know where I could look? The free Carfax report says there are none but I know there is one for the steering. Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Scorpioex2

Scorpioex2 wrote in alt.autos.gm

I would check things out before I started pulling the starter. Are your battery cables clean and tight? But it does sound as if the starter is not working. It sounds like the solenoid is pulling in but the starter is not getting power, possibly an open winding, or a bad brush. Yes the solenoid is mounted on top of the starter. They are replaced as one unit. They are a pain to replace, but not technically difficult. You need to get to the starter, which will be at the end of the engine by the transmission. And then undo 2 bolts (usually), holding the starter up while you are doing it. The starter is kind of heavy, and you hard to manuver, especially since you are laying on your back working on it. When replacing you need to take care so as to get it aligned properly.

Check with

most of it is subscription based, but you can get recall info for free.

Reply to
Dick C

I know of no ignition switch recall on this car. This was on "J" and "N" cars. The Lumina is a "W" car. (4th digit of VIN, if you are wondering)

Reply to
hyundaitech

Friends,

First of all thanks very much for the replies! We got the starter out and took it to an Advanced Auto to have it tested. The post that "shoots out" does extend but turns very slow with no power then might stop or just continue to turn slow. They said it was indeed bad but one that they sell is $190.00 and money is a concern for us. It this indicative of the starter or the solenoid being bad? If it is the starter can these be rebuilt? I read somewhere that these units are non-serviceable but they may be referring to only the solenoid. Thanks again.

Steve

Reply to
DN736

Even if you can get brushes and bushings for this starter it may have a bad armature or a shorted field. I think that they priced you a new one for that price, a remanufactured should be around $120.00. But I don't care much for remanufactured starters. Money being tight you might check a local salvage yard and see if they will sell you one that they guarantee to work. I think that a starter up to a

2000 GM will fit your car depending on the motor. And you could expect to pay $25.00 to $50.00 for a used unit.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam