Starter problem? Starter runs, pauses for a fraction of a second [no sound], then continues to run.

When starting my 98 sunfire, a few times a week the starter will turn over a for a second or two, stop for a quarter second, and then continue turning
and start the car.
When the starter stops for that quarter second there is no audible sound within the car (no clicking, buzzing, etc).
I have not seen this symptom before, is it common?
I am guessing that the starter motor is seizing up causing the starter motor to fail temporarily but this is only a guess...
Thanks,
David
More than likely the brushes hanging up. If the motor seizes you will see smoke.

You're going to want to test battery voltage, charging voltage, and starter draw.