Starter problem? Starter runs, pauses for a fraction of a second [no sound], then continues to run.

When starting my 98 sunfire, a few times a week the starter will turn over a for a second or two, stop for a quarter second, and then continue turning and start the car.

When the starter stops for that quarter second there is no audible sound within the car (no clicking, buzzing, etc).

I have not seen this symptom before, is it common?

I am guessing that the starter motor is seizing up causing the starter motor to fail temporarily but this is only a guess...

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David

More than likely the brushes hanging up. If the motor seizes you will see smoke.

Reply to
Woody

You're going to want to test battery voltage, charging voltage, and starter draw.

Reply to
NickySantoro