Starting problem with 2000 Impala

2000 Chev Impala, Base model.

Every 20th time or so I try to start the car (no real pattern to it), the car will not start. No engine sounds at all. On the Message Center, I see the red battery light, then the yellow security light flashes six times, then back to the red battery light, and so on. This will go on for ten minutes, then the security light will go solid, and the car starts fine.

When I took it to the dealership, they pulled the engine codes, and I was told that I needed to replace the Body Control Module, which was messing up the Anti-Theft on the car. $500 bucks latter, the problem still exists. Now, they want to replace the key tumbler and starting module, which is another $500. Strange thing is, about a year ago, I had an ignition coil go bad. The shop replaced that, and did a full tune up, and for several months, the car started fine. Then the problem came back, and with the onset of the cold weather, seems to be happing with more frequency. When I asked my normal mechanic (not the dealership) about the relation between the tune up and the problem going away for a while, he insists there is no correlation. I'm told that there is an issue with the tumbler/ignition module and the anti-theft system.

Any ideas? I'd like to get a better handle on this before I drop another $500, which may or may not solve the problem.

Thanks,

-C. D.

Reply to
ch_squire

Bobo

No remote start. When I mentioned the issue to my regular mechanic, another tech, who just had completed his ASA training on starting problems, mentioned that this very issue had come up in class.

-C. D.

Reply to
ch_squire