Starting trouble - 99 Express

Hi, I have a 99 Express cargo van, 305 V-8, 112K miles. This morning when I was went out to go to work, it didn't start - dead battery was my thought, so I had the neighbor jump me - started right up. Let it idle
for about 1/2 hour after I got to work. I turned it off, then back on, and it started no problem. 4 hours later, I get in to go back home and it went "tick tick tick tick" with no turnover. The ticking was in the dash, not at the starter. I thought battery again and went and got my charger. Now here's the part that might have screwed me - I left the battery hooked up when I put the charger on it. Now the gauges come on when I put the key in and turn it to "On", but when I turn it to "Start", everything goes dead and not a sound is heard from the motor.
Any thoughts? Did I fry the computer with the charger? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Thanks, Tom
My money is on a dead battery. During the starting sequence, not enough juice to keep the dashboard alive.

Forgot to add....terminals clean??

Thanks for the posts - it wasn't the battery, just not a good connection at the terminals. Cut away some of the rubber boot on the wires, scraped clean the battery terminal then tightened everything up and it's all ok.
Thanks! Tom
MikeG wrote:

Tom Elliot wrote:

This is not rocket science. You need a battery. It doesn't sound like you want to actually check anything so start with replacing that anchient battery. If it's not anchient, change it anyway.