Static sound in RF speaker

Mothers 91 Cadillac Brougham has developed a low sounding scratchy static sound in the RF speaker ( in dash ). AM FM Delco Cassette. Even with the volume turned down it still makes noise. The sound is present even if the dial is rotated to play on just the rear speakers. The loudness does not increase with the cars speed. Turning the radio up louder doesn't increse the noise either.

Removed the glove box, jiggled some wires. Nothing changed.

Used my brothers repair method of choice SLAM the item with left hand. Nothing happened.

Any idea's ?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~273,777 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I think *roll eyes here* that there is a short circuit with another wire that is hot with ignition on. Whether it is within the radio or the speaker wire is another story. Only way to tell would be to swap the radio.

Actually, two or three different ideas popped into my head, but all of them had to do with the radio internals. OTTOMH, I think the radio has gone to the tube shop in the sky, but I have been known to be wrong before :)

I'm also glad to see that the percussive method of repair is still alive and kicking :) :) :Þ

Vuarra

Vuarra

a component has gone bad and is making noise. sounds like board level repair. It can be fixed. there are repair facilities that can do this job. perhaps locally, or on the net.

Reply to
Baboo

This may be more speculation, but you could always get some contact cleaner from radio shack and spray any connections on the back of the radio and on the speakers to see if that *may* resolve the problem. Worse case, is you spent $5 on the item and no effect.

Reply to
Car Guy

Worst case? I don't think so. The spray would likely degrade the cone of the speaker. The back of the speaker is about the last place that I would ever think to spray contact cleaner, because there aren't any electrical contacts there!

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Reply to
Weedahoe

I agree mostly with Weedahoe myself.

IMO most likely just the age of the speaker (particularly the voicecoil) is picking up interfefence. years of getting warm and cooling off have taken its toll.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Reply to