Steel Brake line replacement

The steel brake line going to the rear of my wagon just after the front door has developed a leak. A really big leak, the fluid gushes out when the brakes are applied. Very small hole but big leak.

The wagon is a 92 Buick roadmaster Estate Wagon. Has anyone ever replaced a steel brake line on that wagon? What am I likely to run into? EX, lines that don't come apart and I end up braking them. Should I use the Factory pre bent steel lines or should I buy some straight steel lines at a local store and bend them myself?

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Dan

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

I agree.

Sometimes it's easier, if there are any good lengths of sections on the line somewhere, to cut and flare the lines and just replace the bad sections with new flexible metal lines. They sell the flare fittings rather cheaply and you can rent a flare tool for free at autozone.

I have replaced 100% of the metal lines in a few cars. If the lines are pretty much in rough shape throughout or you can only find small sections of decent line left you should consider replacing all of the lines.

I found an interesting combination of flares on a 1992 Chevy Caprice I re-did the lines on. Don't pay for the expensive bubble-flare lines. Get the cheap-o single flare lines and 'rent' the double flare tool. If you only do step one of the double flare process you have a perfect bubble flare. Of course you'll need to salvage the old bubble flare fittings from the old lines or just buy them... I found the price hike for a buble flare line amazing!

Good luck

Reply to
Brendan