steering column

Hey guys...
I'm replacing the steering column on my 1988 Celebrity wagon, and I'm wondering what the secret is to getting the u-joint onto the stub of the
steering column. To take off the one that came with this column, I had to spread it a bit with a screw driver. Would it be easier to undo the u-joint from the rack? The haynes manual is unclear on this( of course it is ;o). Anyways.. thanks as always.
-Sam
wrote in message

u-joint
Alright.. I went and attached the ujoint back onto the column, and now I'm trying to get it onto the rack that way. That rubber boot is making it really hard to line it up. I won't really get a chance to work on it for another few days, so I hope it's still warm out then.
-Sam (wishes death upon whoever didn't put a lockwasher or loctite on the bolts inside the tilt column)