Steering Problem

Just spent a ton of money on the steering and suspension system of my 95 Corsica and I'm not happy with the results. I had the rack and pinion steering replaced, it was leaking. They also replaced the MacPherson strut,
they were toast and the left front axle, plus the ball joints and numerous wheel alignments. The problem is the steering does not recover after making a turn. After completing a right hand turn the car pulls hard to the right, after a left hand turn it pulls hard left in fact if I did not hold on to the steering wheel I would end up in the next lane. Yet if you can get it going straight on the highway it tracks straight as a bullet for miles. It been back to the garage 3 times with no results, all they do is another wheel alignment. Any ideas or help would be appreciated
Art wrote:

Sounds like you need to take it to another shop. One that can set caster, camber, toe, and check/replace bushings and other worn parts. Your present shop does not seem to be able to do that.
have them check the strut bearings also .. They are the biggest case of memory steer that I know of.. Basically when the wheel turns left/right, the spring twists..There should be some sort of bearing allowing the spring to turn freely..when it doesn't , it kinds of jumps and binds.. then it doesn't return to center like it should...... It's either that, or someone alligning it took out all the caster...Not sure how they would do it though... Bobo

strut,
left
straight
Check and see if the rack and pinion was centered before bolting on the tie rod ends. With the wheels straight, count the number of turns it takes to get to the stops each way. If the count is not equal, take it back and have them fix that problem, along with another alignment. This happened once on my 1994 Corsica. I wasn't paying attention, and didn't center the rack properly, and it did some wierd stuff similar to what your describing, but not exactly. I separated the tie rods, centered the rack and readjusted the rods. Took about 30 minutes to get right.
Its a quick check anyway.
Eightupman

strut,
left
straight
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:19:26 GMT, "Eightupman"

I have found that front end work seems to be a mystery to most shops. They just don't have a freaking clue how to properly adjust a car.
psycho snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Agreed!