steering wheel lose on 88 S15 Jimmy

Page 1 of 2
I have a 88 S15 Jimmy 2WD
The steering wheel is really lose where it moves up and down and left and right a lot. I am not driving it of course due to this. I have looked in the
CHILTON book and also looked around the steering column but cant figure out how or what to take apart to tighten this up. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is wrong and how to fix it? It is a tilt wheel if that matters as well.
TIA, Kevin
Actually its not the whole column but just the part that tilts - it goes left and right and up and down. Cant figure out how to get to it to tighten it up.

the
out
"cybercoaster" wrote

tighten
Do fix it properly, you need to dis-assemble the column right down past the tilt section. There are 4 bolts down there that always come loose, they need to be tightened up (preferably with some loctite).
Ian
Been there, done that, It's caused by grabbing the wheel to boost yourself into the truck. There are "J" bolts that hold the steering wheel tilting hub ( inc. turnsignal, ign, shifter) on to the column and you have torn the "J" bolt locking slots out of the top of the column tube.
The steering wheel, hub, and column must be removed and the column replaced (if you can find one)or, as I did, repaired by welding new sections in to renew the "J" bolt slots.
Once you have completed this repair you will know better than to ever use the steering wheel as a vehicle entry boost handle again. Spud

"Spud" wrote

hub
"J"
replaced
What you describe "might" be what happened to you, but all the columns I've ever seen that are loose....are loose because of the four bolts at the base of the column. They loosen up and back out. There is no need for any "welding", just get down to the bolts, remove them, clean the threads and apply loctite and re-install.
Ian

yourself
and don't forget to TAPE your Torx driver to the extension !!!!!!!!
I've seen it done before. I'd say the OP should get a steering wheel puller and a dent puller. One is obvious, the other there is *some* portion that needs to get pulled where a dent puller & a screw get it out nicely. *I* didn't pull this column, but it was roughly described to me how to do it. I'd say just start takin it apart - a good learning experience.
~KJ/TLGM

yourself
"KJ" wrote

puller
Well, I'll defer to your steering column experience, there KJ.
Ian
lol All I know is it was an '87 blazer. He bought a steering wheel puller & jerry rigged whatever with that dent puller. IMHO, the OP should be able to fix this if he just gets in there. He has another vehicle obviously, so he has the time to experiment. I thought I made it obvious that I don't know the specifics, just that a home mechanic can do it.
~KJ/TLGM

that
it.
BTW by "dent puller" I mean a slide hammer. Those improper terms that you grow up with are hard to re-learn...
~KJ/TLGM

*I*

it's now known as a "master ignition key"... get it straight! :oD
Now I see the comment "only a thief would take one to a column".
~KJ/TLGM

you
In article

I'm guessing he used the dent puller to remove the pivot bushings.
The correct tool (puller) probably sells for < $15.
He had looked for it, but was unable to find it. He took a good week looking for it too - because he purchased both the puller & the slide hammer specifically for this job. Not saying it's the right way, just the way he did it.
~KJ/TLGM
wrote:

mechanic

I got it taken care of. And yes, I have another vehicle. A new Avalanche (without the body hardware). I drive the old truck in bad weather etc...
Used a compression tool and sterring wheel puller. The only thing is I have to take it back apart since I didnt get the turn signal correct to change my headlight high beam. DOH! I also replaced the ignition switch while I was in there since it was hard to work sometimes, getting wore down to much.
Thanks for all your help!
(and to one of the previous posters, no, I dont use the steering wheel to pull myself into the truck!)

Oh come on... everyone in this group knows you do too! Don't lie about it!
LOL

that
it.
Yeah, if nothing else, the OP will get a nice lawn-decoration out of the experience.

puller
Leave the dent puller at the body shop, only a theif would go anywhere near a steering column with one. Like everyone says, 4 loose bolts are the problem. It's an easy job once you've done a few... if you have the right tools. Little things like a lock plate compressor make the job a hell of a lot easier. Bob
Just did one in a '89 S blazer. Yeah the 4 bolts where loose, my fatso brother hauls himself in via the wheel. It was a tilt wheel and the hardest part was pulling out the pins that the wheel tilts on as you need to remove that section to access the bolts. Shop manual shows a puller, I used a hardened screw, washers and a socket that fit over the pins to make a puller. It's only machine screw threads in the hardened pins so be careful and gentle so ya don't snap them off. A non tilt colum would be a breeze compaired to the tilt.
--
John
"Anything you say can & will be misquoted & used against you"

The non-tilt columns don't loosen up like the tilt columns do.