Stereo Install tips on a Corvette

The stereo installers among us should get a chuckle out of this.
Customer comes in the shop, check engine light is on, problem lies in the evap system.....evap system
is leaking somewhere, not holding pressure. Evap system is pressured up with the smoke machine. Inside of the Corvette stinks like raw fuel.
Here is a pic of the body panel behind the passenger seat where a stereo component had been installed.
http://www3.telus.net/public/ianrmac/Images/chev%20/DSC01324.JPG
Here is the corresponding area on the right side fuel tank (Corvettes have two plastic fuel tanks.).
http://www3.telus.net/public/ianrmac/Images/chev%20/DSC01328.JPG
Heh heh....you gotta love it. Gonna cost the stereo shop about 1300 dollars to replace the fuel tank.
There were actually no problems until the customer decided to remove the stereo from the Corvette and install in the his truck. Once the screws were removed, voila....big evap system leak.
Ian
For what it's worth shiden_kai, I had a good belly laugh! Thanks ;-)

Ian, One big OOPS there. I hope the shop played better attention on other installs but I doubt it. Good thing it was finally found though, I'd hate to see that car involved in a fire due to a fuel leak.

"Steve W." wrote

I'm actually surprised that stereo installers haven't gone to less invasive methods of attaching stereo components inside the vehicle. Double sided sticky tape, or something like that.
We've actually seen this happen more then once, just haven't seen it on a Corvette yet. Vans are bad, people just drill through the floor and right into the plastic tanks all the time. We also had a van in a while back that had a bunch of shelving installed and they installed shelving right around the rear a/c and heating section. The rear heater core developed a leak and there was no way to get at it without ripping the entire interior out. Someone wasn't thinking.
Ian