strange noise front end

1998 GMC Jimmy 4WD has a strange noise in the front end. It sounded like a tire noise and needed new tires bad so I got them but it still does it. It is proportional to speed. The transmission was just rebuilt about 4 months
ago. I would compare the sound to a tire with large tread on it. Please help if you can.
"Tim or Linda" wrote

help
It may have worn/noisy front wheel bearings. Not real uncommon on these vehicles. Does the noise changed if you turn left or right? By this...I mean, does the noise get worse or become quieter if you perform a lane change type of maneuver at speed?
If so, usually the culprit is the left front bearing if the noise increases in a right turn, or the right front bearing if the noise increases in a left turn. It can also work this way...if the noise "decreases" in a left turn, the left bearing is the culprit...exact opposite if the noise "decreases" in a right turn.
Ian
Now you mention it when turning it does quite down. I will check the bearings and see what they look like.

It
months
"Tim or Linda" wrote

It's not really possible to "see what the bearings look like" on these vehicles...unless you are committed to replacing the bearings as you will have to destroy the old ones in order to get them apart. They are sealed units.
They can often be quite noisy without even being loose. Obviously, if you take the weight off the wheels and there is play if you rock the wheel grabbing the top and bottom you may have figured out which one is noisy. But this is not always the case....plus...you need to make sure any play is actually in the wheel bearing...not the front end.
I usually check the bearings with a stethoscope, often you can pick out the noisy bearing as you listen to each bearing with both wheels turning.
Ian
It decreases with a slight left turn. I thought what the heck I would go get some bearings and replace them I can do that. Went to Auto Zone and they only sell the hub with bearings no bearings alone. Don't have $160 so it will wait till I can find just the bearings. I did try to take the hub off thinking I would pack them with more grease and cant find my hub socket. Now I have to find it the problems just keep adding up it seems LOL.
Tim

It
months
It only comes as a hub assembly, no way to just change the bearings. If they are going bad grease will not make any difference anyway. Sorry.
--
Steve

"Tim or Linda" < snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.netremovettforreply> wrote in
"Tim or Linda" wrote

get
Now
Sounds like your left front wheel bearing and hub assembly. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the previous posts. You "cannot" just replace the bearings....it comes as a unit, and that's how you have to replace them. You cannot grease the units unless you used a grease needle, but frankly, that's a waste of time. They are sealed units and they either last a long time without maintenance...or they don't. Luck of the draw, really.
Ian
Check the differential oil also.
message

help
It will be a wheel bearing. $160 is cheap compared to the $395 I had to pay for my 1999 Montana which was a module with ABS sensor.
message

help