Strange Object In 1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

Hello all...

While driving a borrowed 1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight the other day, I noticed something odd stuck to the windshield.

At the very top of the glass, centered above the rearview mirror, is a long thin plastic bar that says (IIRC) "CLIFFORD" on the back of it. It's about as long as the rearview mirror is, and is affixed to the windshield with adhesive. There is a wire running out of it on the left that disappears up into the headliner.

Does anyone know what this is, and what it does?

I thought it might be a light sensor, although there are two sensor bulbs in the dash that appear to perform that function. The car does not have automatic climate control, nor does it have Onstar. (Not that I'm sure it was offered in '97...)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Sounds like it could be some type of alarm/remote start antenna.

Reply to
Steve W.

I dont know but would expect it to be some sort of antenna, like cell phone, Sirius or XM satellite radio, or maybe even a radar detector. Interesting

Reply to
hls

Try this link...I think you will be on the right trail.

hls

Most professional mobile electronics installers will usually affix an aftermarket antenna directly above the rear view mirror, because this is probably the best placement to receive signals from a keyfob, from outside the vehicle. Sounds like a Clifford alarm system, keyless entry system, remote starter, or a combo unit, which would include both an alarm and starter in the same unit. More than likely, when you received the keys to this borrowed vehicle, attached to the keyring was probably a Clifford keyfob to arm/disarm, lock/unlock, start/stop the engine, and possibly even pop the trunk or sound a panic alarm, depending on the device installed in the vehicle. Any of the above are nice features, when the system is installed by a professional, otherwise, they can wreak havoc on the cars electrical system when they misbehave.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky