Struts

What are peoples opinions of the monroe struts that Canadian tire has on sale right now?

Thanks!

Reply to
dasbrow

I have never had good luck with Monroe struts. I don't know anything about Canadian tire. Are they like Mexican tire?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Thu, May 25, 2006, 3:33pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com What are peoples opinions of the monroe struts that Canadian tire has on sale right now? Thanks!

I guess it depends on what kind of driving you intend to do. I put a set of Monroe shocks on my '90 Burb years ago and I just replaced them with new Monroes (after 112,000 miles) none of them leaked and they still worked okay but the top weld broke on one of the rear ones when I threw 1000 pounds of garden supplies into the truck (go figure). But remember, there are better shocks out there; it's your choice.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

I see in outr newspaper the Teaxs speedlimit is going to be 80 MPH.

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

FEMA's solution for hurricane evacuation? BTW, Brownie did a heck of a job again, huh? s

Reply to
sdlomi2

If it's a Monroe strut, it's garbage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I have to do struts on my car, including the mounting hardware and bearings, my budget is limited, and including an alignment I'm looking at about $550-600 (my limit is $600 and fronts only) . Here are my choice on struts.

Canadian tire Monroe's: $110.99 ea (picked them up yesterday because the sale ends today, I have no issue returning them)

Bob jones (APC) Monroe's: $133 ea (probably the same struts as above.)

Napa - Gabriel cheapy's: 93.39 ea - Better Gabriels: 163 ea. - kills my budget.

Mounting hardware is around the same from all the places listed about

100 ea side.

Alignment is $100 from the dealer.

I just don't want to spend this coin now and in a year have to do it all over again because I bought the wrong struts.

Reply to
dasbrow

I just installed new struts on my wife's 98 LeSabre, ca 75,000 miles.

The factory GM struts were worn completely out, but were not yet leaking. (So much for OEM superiority.)

I got the Monroes (for a reason that takes too long to tell), for about $75 US for the two.

It took me about two hours to install them. (Found the brake pads thin, and replaced them too.)

Found a tie rod bad, replaced that.

Fresh alignment was US$60.

SO, the original target would have cost about $135. (The pads were about $30-40. The tie rod was in the same rough range.)

Reply to
<HLS

Great! I have not heard that though. Probably being kept a secret here.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

If they are good out of the box then you are probably ok. Two years ago I put new strut shocks on my G/A. My car then had 158k miles. I decided to try Monroe gas shocks at $76 US. Right out the boxes: One front was leaking, the other front one would not extend. I did not even look at the rears. Took all 4 back and got Gab gas shocks. They are ok, car has 190k miles now. Due to a 100% failure rate of the Monroes ones that I looked at, I decided to never again buy Monroes. Why do you say your car needs (extra) mounting hardware and bearings? They hardly ever go bad.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul