struts/shocks question

I need to have my GF's shocks (or so I thought) changed out on a 94 Olds Estate something or other. Not for sure, I almost never drive it and it is not here right now. But it is a 94 olds, that much I do
know.
I started shopping around for prices, and the first place I went to said that they weren't shocks, but struts and would cost about $600 all the way around to get them changed out.
What is the difference between a shock and a strut? If you can point me to a picture on the web, it would be helpful.
Cars have shocks, aircraft have struts.....or so I thought.
Cheers and thanks
Mike
Struts typically have the spring mounted onto them and connect to the knuckle.