stupid SUV driver tricks

Page 2 of 2

Yep, gotta love seeing people bitch about trucks and SUVs just because econoboxes can't stand up in a crash. You want to save money, buy a honda. You want to survive an accident with one of the millions of vehicles <already on the road>, don't.
SUVs themselves aren't the problem at all. What's the difference between an idiot in an SUV darting infront of an econobox on the highway versus an idiot in an econobox (far more common in the Toronto area) darting infront of an SUV? Either way, in a collision, the econobox loses and the SUV gets blamed.
The roads might be safer if everyone drove tanks instead of go-karts.
<ducking>
SBlackfoot wrote:

Exactly. I just don't see where you save money on a honda either. You might save a few pennies or even a $ or 2 at the pump. Then when it comes time to change the timing belt you have to spend all that money you saved. Even then while some hondas may last a long time they don't last as long as a truck. I still see trucks from the 70's and 80's on the road pulling trailers with lawn mowers, hauling rocks, whatever. The Hondas on the road were usually lightly driven garage kept. Most of the Real SUV's (rear wheel drive, frame based) will be passed down through a few owners then get used as a work vehicle while a Honda will get passed down a few people and end up in the junk yard. So I think in long run you don't really save that much $ buying Honda type car.
Eugene wrote in alt.autos.gm

driving
with
you'd
snip

The reference to the Honda's roof was in responce to what someone else said. The accidents I refer to did not involve Honda's, AFAIK. They involved a full sized car being rear ended by a Jeep and a Minivan being rear ended by an SUV. Make unknown. In both cases if these cars had been hit by a Bonny they people probably would have survived, as a matter of fact, if the SUV's had bumpers the same height as the rest of the cars on the road then the people probably would have survived.
--
Dick #1349
Dick C wrote:

Show me an SUV that does not have a lift kit with bumper higher than an average car. I have started paying attention and I haven't yet seen one with a high bumper
Eugene wrote in alt.autos.gm

Ok, it is the SUV's with the bigger tires or that are jacked up whose bumpers we see. Does not change what happened, now does it.
--
Dick #1349
Dick C wrote:

Well it changes the fact that you can't blame all SUV's for the few modified one. I suppose you could argue against suspension modifications or lifts in general, but I'll bet the high bumpers you see are already breaking some rule anyway.
The bumper may extend down to the same level as the car's bumper, but often the lower parts of it are just weak plastic or something, not where the main strength of the bumper lies.
I believe one change that a few manufacturers have made in newer SUVs is to put more strength into the lower parts of the bumper to prevent them from over-riding lower vehicles in a collision.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
I see many stock trucks and SUV's that their bumpers are way up high. Not just modified ones. Around here it's people with Dodges that seem to think they own the road. Something funny happened the last snow storm we had. I was last in line of about 4 cars making our way home. We all passed 3 trucks/SUV's in the ditch. (People were being helped as well or I'd have stopped) One was a fancy new Navigator. My point, no advantage there if you don't know how to drive the thing. Point two: You can't blame SUV's or Hondas. Both have different functions that just don't meet well in the middle. If everyone drove a tank instead of go-kart, sure, the odds would be more equal. But the same stands true if everyone drove go-karts instead of tanks. The arguement goes either way. It's the physical weight and height, not poor design by either one.
"Tony V." wrote:

SUVs are a main topic on our evening news.
Every time it rains, sleets, or snows, the story lead-in is; "........left the road at a high rate of speed, travelled 50 feet into the woods before overturning, driver and passenger ejected."
Aaaah yes, God's taken another damfool off the highways.
<rj>
You are correct, anybody who doesn't have enough sense to always buckle their seat belts and slow down when traction is less than ideal is a dam fool, no matter what type of vehicle they are driving.
mike hunt
"" wrote:

towards
and
You
you,
probably
ensuing
jumps
None ever collapse? tell that to me and the 4 deadf girls who BRAINS I had to reach my arms thru to hook a j-hooh to an axxle so the corner could exxtract them.
Ohh too graphic for you? try drving a wrecker before you make statements. Charles Nothing like the smell of brains of your friends at 5AM.

My father's a mechanic. Back in the early '70's he was working at a garage in Fremont, CA. Some kid in a '68 Plymouth Roadrunner was drag racing and lost control and veered over to the shop and hit one of the pillars. His Roadrunner broke into about 2 big pieces and lots of little ones, most of it sliding into the garage area where the bays are. The mechnics were finding bits of brains and tissues for weeks afterwards. By the way, do brains smell? probably only if decay/putrification has set in.

Yes they do smell. Worse after decay. Let a car or truck sit with brain residue on it, and it will gag a maggot at 50 yards.
I had an interesting one, many years back. A G-30 van lost controll on a ice covered interstate. Rolled on it's side, and slid in to a bridge abutment (support columns). Roof first. Somehow the drivers head got out sode of the winshield and crushed on the outside of the roof.
A year later that van still stunk. Brains sitting in the sun, you can smell it for a good distance. Charles
Justin,
A similar thing happened to me last Thursday as I was doing some last minute running around before flying out the Texas. Mz Thang was behind me in her new foreign crapper, wiped out around me, cut in front of me ( no signals ) and twenty feet jumped on the brake & turned in the mall driveway without signaling.
Not to smart.
Mz. Thang got 8 seconds of a three note horn blown at her. Next driveway I turned into the mall, drove around toward where she turned in & waited for her to park & go in the mall.
I wrote out a little note & stuck it on her driver window.
Hey you F____'__ " racially incorrect word added " , your lucky I'm in a good mood today or you could of wound up with a slashed tire, a 9 ' long scratch, or perhaps a dented door. Cutting someone like me off & going into a mall where your car is going to parked for a long period of time ain't to bright bitch. Next time you might have to have it towed.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~280,033 miles_~_~_