Reply to
Eugene

Charles Bendig

"Charles Bendig" wrote in news:whHmc.95675$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

Reply to
Justin

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Yep, gotta love seeing people bitch about trucks and SUVs just because econoboxes can't stand up in a crash. You want to save money, buy a honda. You want to survive an accident with one of the millions of vehicles , don't.

SUVs themselves aren't the problem at all. What's the difference between an idiot in an SUV darting infront of an econobox on the highway versus an idiot in an econobox (far more common in the Toronto area) darting infront of an SUV? Either way, in a collision, the econobox loses and the SUV gets blamed.

The roads might be safer if everyone drove tanks instead of go-karts.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Exactly. I just don't see where you save money on a honda either. You might save a few pennies or even a $ or 2 at the pump. Then when it comes time to change the timing belt you have to spend all that money you saved. Even then while some hondas may last a long time they don't last as long as a truck. I still see trucks from the 70's and 80's on the road pulling trailers with lawn mowers, hauling rocks, whatever. The Hondas on the road were usually lightly driven garage kept. Most of the Real SUV's (rear wheel drive, frame based) will be passed down through a few owners then get used as a work vehicle while a Honda will get passed down a few people and end up in the junk yard. So I think in long run you don't really save that much $ buying Honda type car.

Reply to
Eugene

Reply to
Eugene

Eugene wrote in alt.autos.gm

Reply to
Dick C

Eugene wrote in alt.autos.gm

Ok, it is the SUV's with the bigger tires or that are jacked up whose bumpers we see. Does not change what happened, now does it.

Reply to
Dick C

Well it changes the fact that you can't blame all SUV's for the few modified one. I suppose you could argue against suspension modifications or lifts in general, but I'll bet the high bumpers you see are already breaking some rule anyway.

Reply to
Eugene

The bumper may extend down to the same level as the car's bumper, but often the lower parts of it are just weak plastic or something, not where the main strength of the bumper lies.

I believe one change that a few manufacturers have made in newer SUVs is to put more strength into the lower parts of the bumper to prevent them from over-riding lower vehicles in a collision.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I see many stock trucks and SUV's that their bumpers are way up high. Not just modified ones. Around here it's people with Dodges that seem to think they own the road. Something funny happened the last snow storm we had. I was last in line of about 4 cars making our way home. We all passed 3 trucks/SUV's in the ditch. (People were being helped as well or I'd have stopped) One was a fancy new Navigator. My point, no advantage there if you don't know how to drive the thing. Point two: You can't blame SUV's or Hondas. Both have different functions that just don't meet well in the middle. If everyone drove a tank instead of go-kart, sure, the odds would be more equal. But the same stands true if everyone drove go-karts instead of tanks. The arguement goes either way. It's the physical weight and height, not poor design by either one.

Also, I've seen some wrecks that didn't look bad by any means and the passengers died. Others that were terrible and people survived.

Visit

and see. Theres a Honda Accord onthere in which it was carrying SIX passengers and hit a pole at a highrate of speed. Only the passenger side door was holding the car frombeing completely ripped in half. Amazingly, 5 of the six survived thecrash. There are others similar. And others that don't seem bad but theydied. It's a whacky world and I don't see this arguement ever endinguntil there's a big change to heavier or lighter to even everyone up onthe road.

I was driving home from work one day and I saw a Porche rear-end a Taurus and the Taurus just went right up on top. Everyone was fine in that one.

Reply to
Tony V.

SUVs are a main topic on our evening news.

Every time it rains, sleets, or snows, the story lead-in is; "........left the road at a high rate of speed, travelled 50 feet into the woods before overturning, driver and passenger ejected."

Aaaah yes, God's taken another damfool off the highways.

Reply to
Anonymous

You are correct, anybody who doesn't have enough sense to always buckle their seat belts and slow down when traction is less than ideal is a dam fool, no matter what type of vehicle they are driving.

mike hunt

"" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

No too worry, the odds are turning in favor of the safer vehicles, nearly 55% of all new vehicles are light trucks. Soon the vast majority of passengers will be riding in the much safer larger vehicles and the injury and fatality rates will drop even faster than it is now..

mike hunt

"T>

Reply to
MikeHunt2