Suburban 2000 -Clunking in steering

When turning or going over mild bumps esp at lower speeds there is a noticible clunk and vibration felt thru the steering column. My local mechanic says nothing wrong just the way the coupling is made in the
steering coupling. Do I need to be concerned?
Don T. wrote:

Could be the intermediate shaft... I know on the newer ones, there are about 85,000 on backorder.
Intermediate shaft, can be greased but needs to be replaced, reports say that GM has over 85,000 on backorder.