suburban transmission intermittent problem

Occasionally my wife has complained that the tranny in our '01 Suburban 1500 4x4 will not go into reverse. It is an intermittent problem and she has to shift from park to reverse several times to get it to
engage.
My guess is an electrical problem. Probably a bad connection somewhere. Hopefully just a wire and not inside an ECU. Any ideas on where to start looking? The dash indicator does indicate that the vehicle is in reverse when this is occurring. At least that's what my wife said.
Chris
My guess is a clogged filter, at least that's what the old turbo 350's did
"" wrote: > Occasionally my wife has complained that the tranny in our '01 > Suburban > 1500 4x4 will not go into reverse. It is an intermittent > problem and > she has to shift from park to reverse several times to get it > to > engage. > > My guess is an electrical problem. Probably a bad connection > somewhere. Hopefully just a wire and not inside an ECU. Any > ideas on > where to start looking? The dash indicator does indicate that > the > vehicle is in reverse when this is occurring. At least that's > what my > wife said. > > Chris
Well if its anything like the 99s the rear sprag (I think thats its proper name) is going out.Its a drum with splines around the inside and there are gears that sit in those splines which gives you backward movement.The splines either strip or the drum breaks.Would be best to have it looked at.Hope this helps some....
"Shakes73" wrote:

If this was the case, he would heer some noise related to it or some possible shuddering too while it tries to engage reverse which he did not report. It could be a simple valve body problem or in the shifter control module on the side of the tranny that the shifter is hooked to.
it is the reverse drum they crack aroud the gear end they make an updated version for this drum bummer is the trany has to come out to do this and you wont hear any noise from this
Sounds like the revers drum is going bad the GM reverse drum is nutorious for this they make an updated drum for this but the trany needs to come out and be rebuilt