Sunfire Vs Bonneville Fuel Consumption Test

I decided to test these two cars for fuel consumption this weekend. It is an approximate figure as I do my best to fill up the car to a point where it
almost overflow.
Test vehicles: 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT with automatic transmission. Engine type 2.4 L Fuel type: Regular 1993 Bonneville SSEi with automatic transmission. Engine type 3.8 with supercharged Fuel type: Premium
Test Conditions: 1/ proper tire pressure were verified. Both cars has 16 inch tires 2/ same amount of passengers (4 passengers about 670 lbs including the driver) 3/ Bonneville SSEi (1993 with > 190,139 miles (306,000 km) on the motor and good running engine and has roof rack with a bike on top. 4/ Sunfire GT has 40,389 miles (65,000 km) on the motor and good running engine 5/ Air condition "OFF" 6/ Average speed = 70 mile/hour with excellent road condition (no hill). 7/ Unfortunately: Bonneville trip was driven during a windy day (not sure about the wind speed but more than a breeze with outside temperature 59 F) 8/ Sunfire was driven on nice calm day with outside air temperature of 68 F 9/ Total trip distance= 155.34 mile (250 km)
Results: a/ Sunfire GT: 29.62 mile/gallon or 12.59 km/liter b/ Bonneville SSEi: 22.31 mile/gallon or 9.48 km/liter
I thought I could get a bit more mile per gallon with the Bonnie. Oh well, Bonnie ride was much more pleasant and comfortable than Sunfire.

Different strokes for different folks, good that GM can make a decent car that does 30mpg though, I love that new ecotec motor, when its design characteristics penetrate further into GM's engineering department we'll see some really cool stuff.

FWIW, going from TX to the Grand Canyon with my Bonneville SLE (normally aspirated 3.8) it averaged 29MPG. On trips to Houston (180mls), my Intrigue (3.5 DOHC V6) gets up to 32MPG.

2002 Impala with the 3.4 liter engine and I get 17 to 20 mpg highway on my 1990 Suburban with the 5.7 Liter engine and 183,795 miles on it. This is on trips to the Carolinas where speeds range from 60 mph to 70 mph. Too many people don't know (nor do they care) how to maintain a vehicle to get the best fuel mileage from it. With things the way they are today, I'm surpised that the national speed limit of 55 mph hasn't been re-introduced (after all, it was initially established to save gas).
I get 26 to 27 highway on an LS1 5.7 liter in a 2001 Z28 with low milage. I drive around 70-72 mph on the interstates with cruise and no mountains (gently sloping terrain mostly).
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:26:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote:

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Rich B wrote in alt.autos.gm

After I bought an 88 Buick Park Avenue, 3.8, I drove it mostly around town and got only about 15-17 mpg. Then I drove it about 300 miles across state and got a little over 30mpg. I a have made that trip many times and everytime I got worse mileage on the way back than on the way over. Ended up getting over 35 mpg coming back. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the difference.
--
Dick #1349
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote in message

Anywhere between 70 and 75MPH.
My 2001 Z28 with a 5.7 liter V8 is rated to get up to 28 mpg highway. I have gotten around 27 mpg with it. This is an LS1 normally aspirated pushrod engine.