Surprise! Smart Fortwo among '10 Worst Cars of the Decade'

Surprise! Smart Fortwo among '10 Worst Cars of the Decade' http://tinyurl.com/yj7kpnj
Now that the 2011 models are starting to pile up, auto site Jalopnik is
taking a run at naming the worst cars of the decade. No shortage of candidates, we might add. Also to no one's particular surprise, Detroit's Big 3 automakers produced the most of the worst, capturing all but two of the coveted spots with their numbskull entries. There's a special nod to Chrysler. What really surprised us, however, was the inclusion of the Smart Fortwo -- "world's fastest German golf cart" -- one of the most inventive cars in generations.
Here's a capsule of Jalopnik's reasoning for each choice. The Jalopnik site [http://www.jalopnik.com /], of course, provides much more detail and photos of every car. Some picks are sure to surprise:
Jeep Compass, 2007 to present
The $19,350 Compass is "arguably the single greatest affront to Jeep's storied heritage." It "doesn't offer standard four-wheel drive, or anything else traditionally Jeepish. Feels as tawdry as it looks."
Chrysler Sebring, 2007 to present
Sebring was hailed at its launch, but the $20,860 car "ended up a thorough disappointment and the closest thing to an Aztek-like styling catastrophe seen in years."
Ford Focus, 2005 to present
When Ford's most successful "world" car debuted in 1999, it was actually good. But Ford piled on the weight, messed up the steering and suspension feel and styling, ending up with an uncompetitive $15,995 car.
Chevrolet Aveo, 2002 to present
The $12,685 Aveo is "GM's much-pimped AnyCar, the vehicle that it sells in more countries and in more guises than anything else."
Smart ForTwo, 2008 to present
Calling it the "world's fastest German golf car," Jalopnik says of the $11,660 ForTwo: "If a 1960s Mini can be fun to drive and deliver killer mileage, why can't a Smart? Why is its combined fuel economy only slightly better than that of the much larger and way more comfortable Honda Fit? And why is the convertible almost $17,000?
"As a science experiment, it's a success. As a real car, it resembles a science experiment".
Kia Amanti, 2003 to 2009
"Imagine a half-size Lincoln Continental with indifferent body control; an outdated, iron-block V-6; mish-mash styling; and a 4100-pound that's two tons curb weight. This was the ($26,045) Kia Amanti. Try not to look directly at it."
Pontiac Bonneville, 2000 to 2005
The $27,965 Bonneville "can be summed up in one word: cladding. Later models did without an excess of tacky, add-on bodywork, but early cars wore enough of the stuff to armor a small tank. The styling excess only served to cover up a resounding lack of chassis charm."
Dodge Caliber, 2006 to present
At $17,090, "it's a thoroughly depressing, indifferently built car, the kind of vehicle that Detroit needs to quit building, and quit building now."
Chrysler PT Cruiser, 2000 to present
The $18,995 PT Cruiser is "a perfect example of a good car dragged into failure by years of corporate indifference," having become "a stale joke."
Hummer H2, 2003 to present
The $63,090 "Sierra Club's Antichrist" is "slower than dirt" with fuel mileage "stuck in the stone age."
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Jim Higgins wrote:

100% foreign made. LMAO.
You mean like most of the models sold by Toyota? LOL

Mike Hunter wrote:

A lot of Toyotas have more domestic (as in US Mikey) content than GM's Mexican trucks or Korean Aveos, etc.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

That may be your opinion, but the fact is most of the various Toyota Motors MODELS, sold in the US, are NOT made in the US and have NO US materials or parts.
You are confusing domestic US content with, the "North American Parts Content" of the Toyotas only assembled in the US, with the fact the basic materials and the un-assembled parts DO NOT originate in the US.
Search the US Commerce Department for the facts. If you do, you will discover the fact that not only most of the various Toyota Motors MODELS, but most of the Toyotas vehicles sold in the US, are not MADE in the US, they are IMPORTED into the US.
The fact well over 50% of the Toyotas sold in the US are imported, while around 80% of the Ford sold in the US are made in the US and 70% of what GM sells in the US are made in the US.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Your usual bullshit?
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0150771120091201
But more imports are needed, tbey be better built and cheaper.
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling

Canuck57 wrote:

What can you expect from a GM Shill like Mikey?
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Jim Higgins wrote:

Too bad many GM supporters don't read or they would know this immutable fact.
Buying GM supports North American workers no more than Toyota.
The truth is not buying GM does not support CAW/UAW. But they sold out fellow taxpayers in supporting the corruptive bailout of GM by pocket picking taxpayers for the money.
2010 is going to be an interesting year with seantors and congress people going to the polls. Lets hope people turf the bailout supporters.
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling

Oh my pet roddent niping at my heels.
Lots of Toyota vehicles have more NA content in them than does many a GM. The year is 2009 about to flip to 2010. It isn't 1960.
Unlike what GM BSers want you to believe, the world of auto no longer revolves around GM... GM is a loser. 2010 will be the year they lose #1 spot in the US, if not sooner. Given how close Ford and Toyota are, could be a number 3 spot.
And GM costs taxpayers too much. Tick tock...GM is on a rock...
Mike Hunter wrote:

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling. LOL

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:25:08 -0500, Jim Higgins <

What is particularly "inventive" about it? It's basically a 1973 Civic slightly repackaged.

It basically is not. It is made by Daimler, and is a child of the Swatch/Mercedes SMART car. It has a three cylinder turbocharged engine, gas or diesel, I believe, and is being ready for introduction as a totally electric car.
Like the 1973 Civic, it has four wheels.
hls wrote:

Never drove the Fortwo, but I have about 1200 miles in a ForFour. Considering that gas was $6.40 a gallon in Italy, getting 42 mpg was nice to have. During hte time that I had the car, it was really a decent little car to tool around in, even at 70 mph on the Autostrade. Rougher riding than a big car, it got us to where we had to go. Would it be my first car of choice? No, but if gas here gets to $6.40 a gallon, I may consider it.
There is also a Mercedes version that has some fancy doodads on the interior.

Would that be 42 MPG imperial or US?
Daniel Who Wants to Know wrote:

Converted from liters to US gallons. Mostly highway or low traffic miles, very little city driving.