SVS light and headlight switch

I have an 02 Chevy Impala LS, about 56K miles. It recently started doing something odd - sometimes when I manually turn on the headlights the "service vehicle soon" message comes up on the dash. It goes away when car
is shut off and restarted. It doesn't do this all of the time.
Any clues? Thanks.

Did you check to make sure all the bulbs are working correctly?

I did a quick check at first and didn't notice anything. After you mentioned it again, I looked closer and found that one of the rear marker lights was out. I've replaced that and so far no more messages. Thanks.

Have it scanned for codes.
Mike wrote:

OnStar, they can check for a code.

I think the code scanning started a few years later than the 02 model.
OBDII code scanning started in 96, a few years before 02. Even prior to 96 the computer stored codes of some failures. The only way to determine a starting point is to have it scanned.

True, but they were talking about using OnStar to read the codes, not a hand-held reader.