Syntetic Oil

Is it save and justified to use synthetic oil instead of conventional ?

Les Oldsmobile Intrigue 99' , 3800V6 , 155000km.

Reply to
Heather

Sure, but use the real thing like Mobil 1. Some so called 'synthetic' oils are just hydrocracked conventional oils like Castrol Syntec. Bit of a fraud if you ask me.

Regards,

Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

It's up to the individual. I've been using synthetic oil for years and have experienced no problems with it. Synthetic oils have been used in jet aircraft engines for many decades. Let your wallet be your guide when choosing between natural and synthetic oil. The new synthetics no longer attack the neoprene seals like the old synthetic oils did.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

Synthetic oil has very powerful detergent, up to 10 times more powerful than conventional oil. If the engine is dirty inside, a flush should be used first. Another approach is to add 1 quart of synthetic to your next oil change, and watch the stick for gritty buildup. Older cars get neglected, old engines dirty oil faster than newer ones, and contaminate oil quickly.with dirt and blow by.

If the engine leaks conventional oil, it will leak * more * synthetic, as synthetic seems to find leaks.

A healthy engine will run cooler, last longer, and deliver more power with synthetic. Also consider synthetic transmission fluid, same detergency issue applies, a few changes may be needed to flush dirt.

I've been using synthetic oil, and trans fluid for over 10 years, and would never consider using anything else.

Reply to
451ctds

not sure about how much detergent synthetics have, but oil itself has a cleaning attribute. the advantage of synthetic is it's ability to stick and lubricate the engine at lower and higher temperatures than normal motor oils. just like engines, oil has an operating temperature to be the most effecient. weather also has an impact.

i prefer to use a synthetic blend. it cost less, has the same performance, and i don't feel so bad when dumping it out every 3,000 miles.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

Same here. Tried it years ago and it works. Engine also runs with less heat and wear because I can go for a slightly thinner semi-synthetic than a regular oil in the same conditions.

Last I checked, the SynTec(Castrol IIRC) was something like 50 cents a quart more expensive, if that.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Oil (synthetic or natural) has three functions: cool, clean and lubricate. The detergent in oil is not really a cleaning agent but more of a detergent-dispersant because it holds the dirt in suspension and prevents it from 'plating out' to te engine parts.

I switched my truck to synthetic when I bought it in 1997 (87,000 miles) without any flushing or other change-over ritual. The truck has never had an oil leak and now has 173,000 miles on it. If your vehicle is in good condition and has been properly maintained, you can simply change the oil and filter and you're done. I've also switched to synthetics in the x-fer case, both diffs. and transmission with no problems (and without all the voodoo).

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

All that's really important is that the synthetic meet A.P.I. and Milspec standards. Go Google and read up on 'em. I tend to like Mobil 1 but Pep Boys carried an excellent, low-cost synthetic, and the discontinued Exxon synthetic was terrific.

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Would synthetic diff fluid in rear improve gas mileage to any significant degree in a RWD to warrant a change over?

Reply to
Rob

Synthetic oil in my dad's '85 LeSabre gives quicker cold-start turnover (better battery and starter life), better hot weather protection (it won't thin out) and no varnish or gum (like petroleum products produce). 6K drain intervals regardless of time. ..

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Reply to
Joe Poitras