Tech help:88' reatta shifts slow

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me with this, I have a 1988 buick reatta The darn thing is driving me nuts, heres what it does : When the shifter is in drive and you are accelerating slowly the trans
shifts very slowly you can hear the motor whine up and the eventually it will engage the next gear, When you stomp on it and really get going it will shift positivly, also when the car needs to down shift and you don't hammer it, the trans shakes the whole car trying to shift, press the accelerator a little more and then it will shift? The way I seem to be able to get around this is to manually shift the trans, if I do this everything is fine, down shifts are fine up are also. I have been told its a vaccuum problem , but I can't find a bad line? I would really appreciate any help anyone could give, thanks in advance Willy