temp gauge acting crazy

my serpentine belt broke, so it was replaced. after that, i was driving away, and my temp gauge was bouncing around all over. it was normal, then went up
to just over 210, then back to norm, then back up again. does this very quickly. what could be the problem?
I had a problem on my 98 Jimmy where all the gauge's would jump up and down. My fix was replacing the key switch cable that runs from the key to the firewall.

Makes one think it was related to the belt/break/replacement, huh? Could be a wire to the temp. sending unit was knocked or left partially connected. s
nurseypoo1 wrote:

Lots of things. Bad gauge bad sending unit bad wire bad connector bad water pump system very low on coolant etc.
My '96 Suburban had the same symptoms. Does the heater blow cold air when the temp guage drops? Mine did, and the problem was caused by a faulty heater control valve. If the heater air stays remains consistently hot then you more likely have an electrical problem.