temperature gauge

Hi, I just bought a 2001 Impala base sedan with 22,500 miles on it. I have been driving it for 2 weeks and the temp gauge (needle type) has stopped working.
I know nothing of cars, other than how to change the oil. I think I could probably change a fuse if that's the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks, rob harrison
Rob wrote:

Coolant Temperature Sensor. Either the sensor itself is failed, or the wiring running to it is broken or intermittent.
---Bob Gross---
Bob, you may be throwing him off, I think there is a temp sending unit for the guage, and the coolant temp sensor is for the pcm.

Dave wrote:

Which engine?
---Bob Gross---
3400

Robert wrote:

I was thinking of something different. Sorry.
---Bob Gross---
"Robert Harrison" wrote

It's under warranty, right? Take it to the dealer and get it checked out. It's possible you may need a new instrument cluster.
Ian
I have a Nov 5th appt. at the dealer. Whether or not it is still under warranty, I have to find out. The car is a 2001, so the 3 years may be up, depending on the original sale date. thanks for everyones' help. rob harrison

If you don't mind posting the last 8 numbers of the vin , I can give you the in service date and anything else pertaining to the problem you have.. The dealer can do it for you to , just a matter of getting them to do it....Bobo

Thanks to everyone who answered my post. Thermostat. The engine was running at 120*, thus, the gauge wasn't moving. That is what the dealer says. Thanks again, rob harrison