Temporary Engine

I want to try out an engine in my C10 Pickup. I got a modified 350, which is now a 380, or something like that. Anyhow, I want to put it in my truck for only a few days and see how much power it has. I dont
want to waste a lot of time hooking everything up. My plan was to just drop the engine in the truck, connect the gas line, radiator hoses, a wire to the coil, and the linkage, plus of course bolt on the transmission. Then take it for a test drive and see how much torque and speed it produced.
I did not plan to bolt the motor mounts or hook up the exhaust, guage wires or any other unnecessary stuff. Someone told me that I MUST connect the motor mounts, or else the engine could flip upside down. Is that true? I dont want that to happen, but dont want to waste a lot of time bolting stuff either, because I may not keep this engine if it's not powerful enough, and will get something bigger.

Please state exactly when and where you intend to take this test drive so I can be far, far away.
Why not?
I want to see, I need a good laugh. 10 minutes to bolt in the motor mounts, and he's willing to take that chance?
An idiot is born every minute, i wonder how long his minute was?
LOL
Refinish King
PS
I'd pay to see that test drive!

It will be fine, don't bolt it it and take thr RPM up to about 5500a nd then drop the hammer.....
message

Sideshow Bob wrote in alt.autos.gm

Not me, I want to sit on the side lines with some potato chips and beer.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:44:39 -0400, "Rick De Visser"

This is also why some people have chains to supplement the motor mounts, because the motor mounts can only handle SO much power...

You Anita Bryant type!
LOL
Refinish King

In fact, Chevy had a modification to motor mounts in the sixties where an anchor cable was added to fix a breaking motor mount problem so your engine would not do like the Pennzoil ads and jump out of the car. My father had his 1966 Chevy 327's motor mounts modifed (and his engine was family sedan stock no mods). Roy

PARTY POOPER!
Refinish King

Have someone video tape the test drive. THIS I GOT TO SEE!!!!!!!
Also have them video tape when you return the borrowed engine to its' owner. THAT I'D LIKE TO SEE TOO.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"
[...]
I was going with two Sony Super 8 cams!
LOFL!
Refinish King
PS
I would have been able to watch that with my grandson when he gets old enough to understand, what a pisser that would have been.

King, makes you wonder where they come from huh?
I was thinking about this post today during a long drive home in light traffic. Either we are all having our chains yanked or else somewhere there is a village missing its idiot. -- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"
message

This reminds me of a funny occurance I witnessed. I'll try to be brief, but you know how I am.. sorry.. :)
I was driving home one evening from Walmart. I pulled up beside a mid-sized early-90s Oldsmobile at a stoplight and noticed the heavy steam billowing from the hood cracks. I looked at the driver and he seemed oblivious and obviously unconcerned -- he was chatting on his cell phone. Fighting back the good urge to tell him he had a problem, I chose to tag-along and see just how far this moron would let his motor go. The steam would stop when the person pulled away from a stoplight. It returned with more volume at each stoplight. Eventually, about 6 or 8 miles down the road, the steam vanished.. I guess the guy was thinking "hey, i'm good now, no more steam"... well .. about that time, I could hear the motor start ticking really badly... he made it about a mile further ... the engine noise increased the whole time until finally -- no more noise. He coasted to a stop. I made four right turns and came back around to see him standing there, bewildered, still talking on the cell phone.
I guess that makes me a bad person on some level ! Oh well... I figure someone that stupid really doesn't need to be operating a piece of machinery as complex as an automobile anyway.
Also reminds me of the guy with the 525i and a busted plastic radiator... car would hold no coolant at all. We told him to tow it in. He drove it in anyway to our disbelief... "The gage didn't get to the hot zone on the way over!!" said the customer... "Yeah, well it has to have some coolant in the system before it will register anything on the gage!" said the german auto mechanic
Well at least that gets one self important cell phone idiot off the road for a while. One can only hope that he was closing a $300 business deal while he ignored a $3000 engine going to hell.
[...]
And the rest of us wonder why OEMs and, arguably, the government, go to great lengths to prevent Joe Average from working on his vehicle these days.
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:23:16 -0600, powertorquenut wrote:

There will always be idiots.
I guess we should have the goverment hold our wee-wees when we pee as well because some people will always pee on the floor. If the gov't is holding our wee-wees, then nobody will pee on the floor.
YAY! Problem solved!
Just wire it up with about 30 cents' worth of bailing wire. That bailing wire'll tame those 250 ponies in your V8. Dude, did you escape from a "Tobacco Road" type situation? There's a lot of car juryrigging in that book.