terrible brake squeal on 2002 Century

Hi, In the morning when I use the brakes the first 10 times or so, the squealing noise is loud enough to wake the entire street. The GM dealer says rust forms on the brakes over night and that causes
the loud squealing noise. Everyone in town looks when I stop :) What really causes this and should I just replace the brakes. The dealer says the brakes are fine. Thanks in advance, Dave
I can tell you my Lumina squals from the rear brakes when damp first time out, but I don't think there is a long term cure for this. the front how ever only grind a little first time from the slight rust formed.

Chances are everything your dealer told you is correct and that the pads rubbing on the rust sets up a vibration and the squeal. If it's coming from the front and it bothers you enough, you could remove the pads, apply anti-seize to the points where the pads contact the calipers and see if it goes away.
Thanks for the reply. The squeal is from the rear. Dave On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:33:43 -0400, "hyundaitech"

Does this car have disc or drum on the rear?
Front are disc, rear are drum. On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:45:34 -0400, "hyundaitech"

Go to your local parts store and buy some brake clean solvent and some disc brake lube or aerosol white grease if you don't have any already. Remove rear wheels and drums, clean with solvent, adjust shoes and put grease between the contact points between the shoes and backing plates. (This grease should be on the metal plate backing the shoe where it meets the backing plate. There should never be any grease on the friction material itself.)
Hi, Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Dave