Test Drove a GTO today.

I don't care if its called GTO or any other name . This car is Amazing and there isn't anything made like it. The 6 speed LT1 is so fast. But it has the ride of a Luxury car. The car it self is put together very well.
Forget the mustangs or the jap cars or even the BMW's . This car for the money is the best. Only 33k Test drive one and you will see.
Did you buy one?
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."
I think the look of the new GTO is hidious to say the least....it's a slap in the face to the GTO's of the 60's and 70's......at Least Mustang decided to bring back the old look again.....The new GTO looks like a small modified cavilier. It does nothing for me at all! They at least could have made the thing look like a real car instead of a box with wheels.

They even left off the hood scoop... Every real GTO has a hood scoop.
| > I don't care if its called GTO or any other name . This car is Amazing and | > there isn't anything made like it. The 6 speed LT1 is so fast. But it has | > the ride of a Luxury car. The car it self is put together very well. | > Forget the mustangs or the jap cars or even the BMW's . This car for the | > money is the best. Only 33k Test drive one and you will see. | > | > | |
My '68 was ugly, with the bulbous rubber nose, but I couldn't see that nose from behind the wheel when I was stomping on the gas pedal. Hell all they are is a Tempest or LeMans with a big motor and some trim bits. New one has a sleeper look, looks like Mom's car from a far. Bottom line is does it run like a GTO, will it rip rear tires to shreds at will with gobs of smoke? Press your ass back into the seat? If so than it is.
--
John
It also had a carburetor. New cars have EFI with individual injectors. The Mustang with the 'Shaker Hood' has a working hood scoop but it really just sends air down in front of the engine to the regular air intake behind the grill.
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

The scoop on my '67 was non-functional...it was only there for "styling". The scoop is part of the GTO design legacy, I think. But, to each his own.
| > | > I don't care if its called GTO or any other name . This car is Amazing and | > | > there isn't anything made like it. The 6 speed LT1 is so fast. But it has | > | > the ride of a Luxury car. The car it self is put together very well. | > | > Forget the mustangs or the jap cars or even the BMW's . This car for the | > | > money is the best. Only 33k Test drive one and you will see. | > | > | > | > | > | | > |
Have to agree that the new GTO is pretty horrendous looking....was watching Speed Channel the other day and they said that the good ol' Pontiac "engineers" were at one time considering putting a hood scoop STICKER on it!!! At least they had enough sense not too...now only if the GM engineers could realize that they shouldn't put the same steering wheel into the new 'Vette as is in the Malibu!
| Have to agree that the new GTO is pretty horrendous looking....was watching | Speed Channel the other day and they said that the good ol' Pontiac | "engineers" were at one time considering putting a hood scoop STICKER on | it!!! At least they had enough sense not too...now only if the GM | engineers could realize that they shouldn't put the same steering wheel | into the new 'Vette as is in the Malibu!
A scoop STICKER? It wouldn't have surprised me even if they had done that. Many of the Pontiacs have false panel coverings and moldings that (in my opinion) make their model line in general look cheesy at worst and afterthought add-ons at best. But in all fairness, many manufacturers are doing things like that these days...Pontiac just seems to go a little overboard with it.
As long as price isn't important factor to the buyer. The GTO will indeed blow the doors off a Toyota or Honda that in the over 30K price range, but a Mustang GT can be had for $12,000 less today. The Mustang GT will loose the race as well, but that $12,000 will lower the monthly payment by $270 a month on a four year loan or pay your insurance and buy all of your gas for the length of the car loan. The one thing I learned in all my years in retail was the most often asked question at the end of the negations, as to whether I got the sale or not, was always "How much is my monthly payment?" ;)
mike hunt
raceman wrote:

That's why the GTO is a limited production. They're not for everyone and GM knew that going in.
Brian